Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about building an open gun

DenverDave

After looking at all the pictures and reading post about everyone's custom builds......
It's kinda given me an itch to build an open gun.

So I'm looking for some thoughts on this....

Considering using a Match to build on.
Thinking about going 38 Super on this one just for the fun of it.
So what I am wondering is....

1. Magnaport? Yes or No
2. 2 ports or 4 ports?
3. Where can I get a 6" barrel to get threaded for a comp?
4. Which comp would you recommend?

5. Any other thoughts?....Ideas?....Input?

Thank you for your input.

Edited by DenverDave

Dave, I think you'll be much happier with a Limited as a base gun; it's drilled/tapped for optics, it can accept a bolt on magwell, and it can easily accept a good, off the shelf comp.

Between a custom comp, custom magwell and d/t the frame you're going to spend more than the difference in price.

Do you reload? Are you wanting to do this work yourself?

Good point Kneelingatlas, on Match vs. Limited.
I wasn't planning on reloading, but you guys talked me into it, so I should be up and running with my Dillon press in a couple weeks.
As for doing the work myself....I turn wrenches very well...but on something other than a working on a Glock......No, I am a bull in a china shop.

One of the reasons I was asking, I have a line on a Match 38 Super,

so back to the original, if I did decide to get it, would it be worth Magnaporting it?

DenverDave,

The Limited is a good way to go for the reasons stated above.

Give Rich a call at Canyon Creek Customs, find out if he is taking on anything right now, and possibly get some pricing from him before you jump in. Do as much research as you can before you commit to this.

Best of luck.

Dave, it sounds like you have your heart set on the Match, but I'm begging you to listen to the guy with more than a dozen custom Tanfo/CZ Open guns: you will not be happy with it.

The weld on magwell for the match is stainless vs aluminum on the Limited, the rail adds even more weight, there's no checkering on the frame, you can't remove the barrel once you add the comp.

I've been down most roads, so I'm giving you pearls here :)

You will thank KneelingAtlas for saving you time and money, if you listen :-)

I don't turn a wrench, but have been fortunate to have few open guns to try and compare ( CZ / Tanfo / STI ). Each can end up great, but each has some paths that are more competitive, better value, and work better than others.

WRT to magnaport, it works nice as a way to take the 'edge' off a Minor PF/ steel challenge gun, vs no ports at all. But for Major PF ammo it isn't in the same league at all as a real comp. Magna port a lot more like the 'popple' holes that some folks add to their Open gun to further tune how flat it runs after selecting a nice comp.

Yes, I have quickly learned that the KneelingAtlas and the people in this group are a treasure trove of information.
The only reason I bring up the Match in 38 Super is because I can pick on up for low price, thought it might be fun to mess with,

but after getting the advise and taking time to think about it..........probably should let that one go.

Here is a different topic without starting a new thread, (looking for wisdom and advise here..)

I would like to add a Stock II in 9mm to my collection for Production class.
EAA says it might be a while before more of those hit the U.S.

I know of a couple Stock II's that are available right now in 40 cal.
And have heard that if you use a 40 minor load (aka bunny fart...as I have been told)...that it will actually shoot softer than a 9mm.
So here is the question....
Since I already have a LIMITED in 40 and a GT in 40 and I am going to start developing and loading my own ammo, and since according to EAA

the Limited, GT and Stock II .40 all use the same mags (except baseplates)...
Should I just go ahead and get the .40 or hold out for a 9mm??

It the additional cost of bullets/brass isn't an issue you could certainly be happy with a 40 minor Production gun, but I did an experiment when I had a Stock II in 40 and 9 where I used the same bullet weight (135), same charge and the 40 had significantly more recoil at a lower velocity.

It the additional cost of bullets/brass isn't an issue you could certainly be happy with a 40 minor Production gun, but I did an experiment when I had a Stock II in 40 and 9 where I used the same bullet weight (135), same charge and the 40 had significantly more recoil at a lower velocity.

Same bullet weight is not where you are going to get the loads to feel similar in the same pf range. My 180 .40 minor loads feel fairly close to my 125 9mm loads when at the same pf.

Same bullet weight is not where you are going to get the loads to feel similar in the same pf range. My 180 .40 minor loads feel fairly close to my 125 9mm loads when at the same pf.

I realize that, but I had 135s in both so I though the results would be interesting holding all things constant. I'm really enjoying my 165gr 9mm Production loads.

Well.....suddenly the issue is resolved.....my FFL dealer (best friend and shooting buddy), just called me and found a brand new Stock II in 9mm. Got her bought and she is being shipped right now. Funny how that worked out......been looking for weeks.

Appreciate everyone's input. Kneelingatlas.....the 165gr 9mm load you are speaking of...any way I can get the spec's on that?

Edited by DenverDave