Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stupid reloading mistake

Carlos

Shot a local NON OFFICIAL uspsa/IPSC type 3 gun match last night. Being non-official, there was no PF requirement, just classed Major/minor by caliber.On the pistol stage, I decided to back off 1/2 a grain on my usual 165 PF loads for .45ACP (went from 4.something gr. of straight Clays under a Westcoast 200grn SWC to 3.9 to 4.0 grns of straight plain old regular Clays - OAL of 1.245 to 1.250"). Functioned well in my STI so why not?

We shot a stage something like an El Pres, onle with 6 shots on each target (2 reload,2 reload,2)Well, I shot nice, tight, little groups - right into the neck of each target! The lighter charge of powder threw the 200s 6" higher than the sight settings for my normal rounds! To make it worse, there were steels at the foot of each target backed by a NS, guese where my high-flying bullets hit? Yup - the no shoots! Very stupid mistake on my part and it cost me loads of points. Don't be a boob like me and remember to test everything first whenever you make a change.

• 11 years later...