Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Frame Strength Question

MstngLX50

I've got an STI and I have fairly short fingers. When I grip the pistol my trigger finger tends to drag the plastic of the frame between the magazine release and the 2011 numbers on the right side(I'm right handed).

My question is will removing some of this at a 45* angle weaken the frame any significant amount. I've seen a few posts talking of cracking somewhere near the mag catch due to overloaded/swelled magazines and I'm not sure where the crack occurs at, I certainly don't want to help one form.

If it's ok to remove plastic here how much?

Regards,

Alan Elam

"so i've got this dremel and a pistol..." ROFL

How many horror stories have started out that way? :ph34r:

You can modify it quite a bit. Mine is really chopped up, that is not saying I went too far before either :wacko: Take it slow, but making it fit YOUR hand is worth it. There is aways super glue and baking soda ;) (A trick for "enhancing" the bonding of plastic and super glue.)

I'm looking at a plastic grip right now.

Use sandpaper, not a dremel. The plastic in that area is relieved to accommodate the trigger bow and is very very thin - no more than about .075" thick. You can radius the corner off a bit and will probably be OK. Start hogging out that grip with a dremel and you might as well order a new grip before you start, because I can virtually guarantee you'll wreck it.

...Use sandpaper, not a dremel...

i was kidding about the dremel, i'm going to use a round file.

i'm dissapointed it's that thin, i'd hoped to remove a little more than that.

thanks all,

alan

edited to add: if someone has a pic of their pistol with radiusing done i'd appreciate a visual of how much i can remove.

email: MstngLX50@hotmail.com