Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did .357Sig ever go through?

aandabooks

The reason behind allowing the 357 Sig and not the 9x25 or 9x23 was the parent case. While the 9x25 does use a 10mm case, there are very few guns and people using it versus a commercially produced round such as the 357Sig. As for the 9x23, it uses a 9mm size case, and therefore would change the game as far as capacity in the guns.

The capacity difference between .40/10mm/,357SIG and 9x23 isn't as great as from .45 to .40... When it was decided that ,40 S&W would be the minimum allowable caliber to make major, there weren't any 9mm factory loads that made major (albeit 175 or higher pf in effect at the time) and that was a criteria used for Limited then. Those rules have changed. As far as the 'few guns produced' argument, it's completely moot if we're talking production, and I think it is for limited as well since you can build whatever you want.

.357SIG at 165 pf is in the upper end of the pressure window, I don't know if it's better or worse than .40 S&W. 9x25 or 9x23 starting loads are over 165 pf, plus they'd probably feed better in large framed (i.e. S_i 2011) guns.

If they're going to open up Limited for 9mm caliber major that's fine, but just .357SIG? I don't get it.

Read this thread. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=200647&hl=

"Last year as the Chrono guy at the A7 Championship at the Sig Academy in NH, I had the opportunity to chronograph several different 357SIG factory loads. Various bullet weights and types. All of them made major power factor out of the box."

Factory ammo is fine, but what happens when people start loading .357 SIG long to feed better in their large framed pistols? Obviously, 9x25 would fix that, but 9x25 isn't approved.

Howz about, for every class other than open, you shoot whatever, as long as it's SAAMI/C.I.P. spec and uses published load data? If it makes major then Bob's your uncle. If you're worried about a capacity race, just cap major at 20 rounds (or whatever their stuffing into 140mmm mags these days), or less if you want to make shooting minor a consideration.

"Last year as the Chrono guy at the A7 Championship at the Sig Academy in NH, I had the opportunity to chronograph several different 357SIG factory loads. Various bullet weights and types. All of them made major power factor out of the box."

Factory ammo is fine, but what happens when people start loading .357 SIG long to feed better in their large framed pistols? Obviously, 9x25 would fix that, but 9x25 isn't approved.

Howz about, for every class other than open, you shoot whatever, as long as it's SAAMI/C.I.P. spec and uses published load data? If it makes major then Bob's your uncle. If you're worried about a capacity race, just cap major at 20 rounds (or whatever their stuffing into 140mmm mags these days), or less if you want to make shooting minor a consideration.

I have shot and loaded a great deal of 357SIG and except for now moving toward heavier bullets after this thread, have never seen a problem. I have also never experienced a feed problem.

Personally, I have no problem with your suggestions because they are a non issue for me. BUT,if you want to make a rule change, do your research like I did, approach your AD with support (Which I also did) and see what happens. BOD was open to my suggestions and it passed. The process in my case worked. Had they voted it down, I would still think at least I tried.

Good luck with your try