Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is reloading therapeutic ?

I have spent many hours making things for reloading/shooting vs doing other things that my doctor tells me I shouldn't do so I guess it is. I would go as far as "if you think it is" then it is. Health of the mind is at least as important as health of the body, maybe more so.

Idle hands are the devils work shop.

That said, I don't spent a lot of time actually reloading. It takes me longer to pick up brass than it does to load it, case per round x time.

Edited by jmorris

Yes, it is therapuetic to me. I can go downstairs, clear my mind and just focus on running the press. Its very enjoyable if you focus on the process. It helps if you also enjoy the process. There are very few things in my life that are very repetitive, almost mindless. Running comes to mind, or driving. My life gets quite busy, so having time to just block out everything else for an hour or so is quite therapeutic in my opinion. But then again i focus on the process and enjoy it. I also never try to load ammo because i need it, i try to stay far enough ahead of my use so i never feel rushed to make 300 rounds for tomorrows match or practice.

I do not listen to music or audiobooks while loading. I like to hear all the sounds of the machine. Listening to each case drop. The primers popping out. The feel when you push the handle forward to seat a primer. There really is a lot going on when reloading, but you can get into a hyper-aware state that I find relaxing.

Totally therapeutic for me I can turn my head off from my business my employees and customers etc.

Compared to my day job I could load in my sleep, so to speak.

It's like digging a hole vs designing the structure to be built in it. No contracts no technical issues no babysitting a winey customer or tech.

Presses are always set, just walk up and go.

In my mind I hear the beginning of Pink Floyd " Money " as the machine starts going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk