Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any RVer's?

I currently own a tow trailer and previously had a class C. Right now I'm towing with a 3/4 ton Suburban, 25' trailer, I get 8mpg avg at 62-63mph (gas 8liter). Only use 3-4 times a year right now, due to work schedules and school. 7&9yo kids. All that to give my frame the following.

I'm guessing you're retired or close, that being the case I would definitely do it. I would buy used, and either get a diesel MH or diesel truck to pull a trailer. My personal preference would be the motorhome pulling a light car. I also prefer class C over A but admittedly have only been in A's have not owned one. I also would really look at length carefully, if you're going to live in it a lot you might need more size, if you can go smaller, like 35 or less you'll have an easier time driving and finding spots. Don't forget you'll add the length of your tow vehicle.

If you get gas then the price of driving will affect whether you use the rig. Honestly. I only went gas because my wife and I discussed and said initially we'll get in as cheaply as possible and see how much we use it, if it's a lot then we'll go diesel, obviously good since we are hardly using. The next year is going to determine if we even keep the trailer. As seldom as we use it, because w price of gas we don't go for anything less than three nights, it's better drive the Honda and stay at a hotel. Diesel at 12+mpg (two buddies have diesels 3/4 chevies), it's a no brainier, I'd do every three day weekend the kids get.

I personally don't like the wasted space of a class A, I don't need head room when I'm driving. I also wouldn't worry about the outside kitchen, space for storage will matter more than a second cooking setup. I keep a small propane bbq for grilling outside. I have a lot of things I would personally like just from a usability standpoint (like having a nightstand on each side of bed rather than the common wardrobe one side and nightstand the other. I also prefer couch or chairs across from dinette vs at 90 degrees). For those things it's a good idea to borrow or rent for a a few times and see what you like. My trailer is newer and a bit larger than my motorhome was but I liked the layout on the MH better. My wife's grandparents bought a new class A used it and decided they didn't like it turned in for a class c w different layout.

Get one w a space for one of the stacked washer/dryer combos and put a press there instead, use campground laundry or a laundromat instead. Great setup for traveling to shoots.

Red

I have both a 27' 5th wheel and a pop up truck camper. For a weekend match, the truck camper is much easier to manuver and afford, gas wise. It fits a parking space if things are tight and with 4 wheel drive, I can go places I want to that I wouldn't drag the 5th wheel to. The 5th wheel is much more of a production to get ready to take. I refer to the 5th wheel as my rolling apartment and for anything more than a couple of days and it makes sense to have the extra room, but it does eat up the gas at around 10,000 lbs. Either way, I sleep in my own bed, don't worry about bedbugs, a bad hotel room, and already have my stuff with me without out carrying stuff to another place. I carry a generator so I can dry camp if there is no hookup. If the cost of gas and a hotel room are close, it is a no brainer to me, especially if I can setup at the range instead of a camp ground. Just my 2 cents.

Paul : -)#

There are many reasons to get a diesel over a gasser, however overall cost is not one!

A diesel does generally get better mileage, it costs a lot more to maintain and the entry fee is usually $100,000 more for the same size rig in Diesel over gas. That said, the Diesel rig usually will have a higher level of finish, it will tow more weight and it is likely quieter up front when underway. There are some really nice units out there for about $250,000 now and some that are as low as $180,00 or so. Now, if you need to tow heavy, or if you are going to go for long periods, long distances and often, a Diesel may pay itself off. I have had my rig now for 8 years and I have not yet spent the difference between a gasser and a similar sized diesel in gasoline. I have maybe another 4 years or more at my rate before I approach using up my diesel premium money.

At 6.5MPG average over about 55,000 miles in 7-1/2 years I figure I've spent about $23,000 on gas. The closest Diesel unit I was looking at would have cost me $60,000 more than I paid for this unit and it was used, mine was new. With that in mind, I am as I said, still burning the differential. Even if a Diesel got double the mileage, i would still be years before I'd break even.

HOWEVER, everything is a trade. The Diesel units weigh more and that is becasue they have heavier insides for one, Tile floors, granite counters, real toilets, stainless sinks, more water tankage and waste tankage, more propane storage and so on. The cheapest way to go is to stay home! OK, that is not an option, so a small trailer you can pull easily with an economical daily driver is probably the least expensive. A Class A, B or C rig will sit a lot, you need to tow a car with you and you need to insure it and maintain it regardless. Tires are about $3000 every 7-10 years depending upon condition and wear. Insurance is $1000 or so a year. Three batteries every 3- 5 years, it does add up.

I would not trade the experiences for the money. You have kids? Take them RVing, they will in all likelihood love it! Campfires, Smores, stargazing and all the rest. You can get them away from the gameboy and the internet. You can vacation in fantastic places at a fraction of hte cost of hotels and airfare. and even the Ritz won't let you roast marshmallows outside your room!

For our purposes, match travel, all your gear is with you, you have your own bed, often you can camp on a range, especially if you are self-contained.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...