Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pistol shot placement at 25 yards

pat701

I got my SIG P220 45 cal. I have put 450 rounds thru it so far. I am right handed and a CHGO police officer for 27years(i am 50) my eye's are old and my hands are also arthritic.I Shot two handed as i was taught in the police academy long ago. I was never a great shot but could qualify. I am still carring a wheel gun as my service revolver. My question is this, I was shooting 230gr FMJ rounds at 25 yards outdoors. 90% of my 2 handed unsupported shots landed LOW/LEFTon my target. When i suported my SIG P220 on sand bags my POI was the same as my POA. Around 2" groups right where i aimed. I can't blame the pistol but the shooter. What did i do wrong i am sure it must be my grip? I shot weak leg forward legs spread combat style. Please advise my how i can improve my free handed shot placement. I will post this question on afew other boards i subscribe to. Thanks in advance.

If I recall correctly, the problem you're describing is due to squeezing the gun w/ the right hand while pulling the trigger. It's a sort of flinch response. It causes you to pull the gun low and left. There may be other reasons, too - I'm sure some of the other folks will post them :) Work on smoothly pulling the trigger with just your trigger finger - focus on keeping your grip strength constant while you pull the trigger smoothly.

At least you recognize that it's you :) That's a big start!

Are you calling your shots?

If not, you are simply moving the gun before the bullet leaves the barrel....likely a grip and/or trigger control problem.

I'd also have an experienced shooting buddy check to make sure you aren't flinching.

Pat, it sounds like you're rushing that last little bit of your trigger pull. If you think about it, that last little bit before the gun fires is the most important part, and becomes even more so as the shots get harder. Do some dry firing as if you were shooting at 25 and see if the front sight dips just a little as the trigger breaks. Only when you can see the problem can you start to fix it. If you are in the Chicago area I can put you in touch with someone who can help you with your shooting problems just let me know.

Ross

Excellent responses, could not say it any better. I too had the same problem before, but fixed it with a lot of dry fire drills focusing on the front sight. Start with a good sight picture and slowly pull the trigger focusing on the front sight, making sure it does not move when the hammer drops. It should be a surprise when the trigger breaks.

Thanks guy's for the information!!!! I guess i will get some snap caps and practice dry firing. I never was really "into" shooting until a year and 1 1/2 ago. I guess i went thru my middle age crisis. But instead of buying a Harley like most of my cooper buddy's did, I got a hankering for an AK-47, and from there my hankering for gun's and shooting increased. I have an PTR-91 a (HK G-3) clone and it shots 2" groups at 225yards. Also a DSA, FAL that is almost as accurite at 225 yards. Both rifles 308 cal. But now i am looking into pistol target shooting, I will be retiring in 2 years or so and i need something to do so i don't drink my life away at retirement time!!

But i am truly finding that by getting my rifleman skills was very very rewarding. And i believe that becoming accurite with the pistol will be just as rewarding, and easier to find a range. Plus i get great free targets off the chgo police range.

I got my SIG P220 45 cal. I have put 450 rounds thru it so far. I am right handed and a CHGO police officer for 27years(i am 50) my eye's are old and my hands are also arthritic.I Shot two handed as i was taught in the police academy long ago. I was never a great shot but could qualify. I am still carring a wheel gun as my service revolver. My question is this, I was shooting 230gr FMJ rounds at 25 yards outdoors. 90% of my 2 handed unsupported shots landed LOW/LEFTon my target. When i suported my SIG P220 on sand bags my POI was the same as my POA. Around 2" groups right where i aimed. I can't blame the pistol but the shooter. What did i do wrong i am sure it must be my grip? I shot weak leg forward legs spread combat style. Please advise my how i can improve my free handed shot placement. I will post this question on afew other boards i subscribe to. Thanks in advance.

Low left hits are the result of either or both of the following: yanking the trigger (as opposed to squeezing) or clenching the right hand as you pull the trigger (I call it the Sympathy Squeeze) as the other three fingers are instinctively trying to help the trigger finger pull.

1) Do some simple excercises to build stamina in your shoulders and arms for a more solid platform.

2) Dry fire and work on trigger squeeze.

3) Teach yur brain to divide the shot into two tasks:

align

squeeze.

Do "align" until the gun is in the correct area and then ignore the sights and execute a perfect squeeze. Your groups will shrink. Trigger yank is the #1 cause of scatter fire (I should know).

FYI: I have a SIG 226 and it is hard for me to shoot tight groups. The SA trigger is not "target quality" (even after fine tuning) and the short sight radius doesn't help either.

(i am 50) my eye's are old and my hands are also arthritic.
I didn't notice that part... hang it up, there's no hope. I should know, I'm 53 and my body quit on me years ago. I still won overall Grand master in the local *WOF bullseye league.

*WOF = Wobbly Old farts