Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems with steel?

Loves2Shoot

Agreed S in C.

How many time have you seen a group of 5 steel packed together tight and think to yourself ah no sweat just lay them all down. Then at the buzzer it's draw, one quick sight picture, (gun somehow switches to 5 round burst), only to leave half the group standing.

This is such a great thread Scott started I thought I'd bring it back around.

My good bro' who is a damned good GM constantly, constantly beats me about the head and shoulders that this is a game of points. Being thick headed and susceptible to the the ego of speed I only episodically listen to him. I wonder why my improvements are episodic..........

Great post Scott.

edited to add incredible words of wisdom just issued by the amazing and always succinct Ms. Neomet who is pretty much a complete neophyte at this sport but obviously grasps more than I do. "There really should be no such thing as a mystery mike".

Edited by Neomet

Wow...nearly six year...nice revival! I don't tend to have a problem with steel, but if I can get better at it...coolies. I think I'm going to work on something like partial targets on steel...maybe shoot poppers with just the circle painted and if it doesn't touch paint, it didn't count. R,

Wow...nearly six year...nice revival! I don't tend to have a problem with steel, but if I can get better at it...coolies. I think I'm going to work on something like partial targets on steel...maybe shoot poppers with just the circle painted and if it doesn't touch paint, it didn't count. R,

Even after all this time it is nice to see this thread surface again. Scott's post is one of my bookmarked links and I reread it several times a year.

I spent some time shooting Tuesday Night Steel at Rio Salado. It is hard not to love steel. Now that I am rarely back in AZ I have seen my skill diminish.

I know when I start missing on steel, I am looking at the steel instead of my sights. Very simply that is the cause for the miss.

Seeklander talks about the shooting cycle in his new book (BTW: Great Book). If you have your sight picture, it is confirmed, you exercise trigger control, you do not need to see the steel fall (although it might be fun) or hear the ping, both of which slow you down, you call your shot and move on. Extra hits on steel eat your time away.

I get to practice on 4 inch plates on a .22 plate rack. When I get trigger time on this plate rack my accuracy goes way up in all my matches.

When I shoot steel, I have to be on the front sight like white on rice...like spots on dice...like cold on ice. You can get "C" his on paper, steel is either hit or miss. The front sight is everything on steel. It doesn't have to be totally centered, but it has to be known.

When you can track the front sight really fast, you can hit steel really fast. If you can't track the front sight, you will have a miss or two, slowing down the run. Speed will manifest. There is no substitute for seeing the front sight when you need at positive hit. Don't buy the delusion that you can shoot faster than you can see. Seeing is not a matter of time, it is a matter of focus.

At our matches we always do some stages mixed with steel poppers and hide-away targets so we always get practice with both. I for some reason have always been quicker on steel than paper. I lived in Bend Oregon for 13 years before moving to North Idaho. The weather is worse here, hate to say. Nothing worse than trying to keep targets up and going in the rain or snow.