Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight radius

robport

I've been searching on the net and can't seem to find the sight radius of the Witness limited pro.

I don't have access to one to measure. Would anyone happen to know what it is?

Thanks in advance.

Seems no one knows?

By using internet pictures and assuming the overall length is either 9" (as in EAA's literature), or 8.75" (from the people I've talked to that use them and say they fit in the IDPA box). With those assumptions, it's between 6.7 and 6.9 inches

(1911 is about 6.5 inches).

So...can anyone tell me the real length of one? I've heard so much of whether they will or won't fit in the box (8 3/4"), with some jamming them in and some clubs using oversized boxes, that I don't know what to think anymore.

I'm trying to decide between the limited pro and a 1911 style. Increased sight radius would be a big plus, but not fitting in a real legal box would, at the least, create more work (I wouldn't cut 1/4 inch off the beavertail, but 1/16"...maybe)

Ben Stoeger swore it was too long in his Youtube show...but no one I've heard can quote a real measurement.

Thanks for looking

The sight radius should be the same as a Limited, and a Stock III. I do not own either at this point. I can say my stock II has a 6.5625" sight radius. Rear of rear sight to rear of front sight. (I am using the tactical sport rear sight and the front is stock at the moment)

Thank you for the response.

The 6.56 sight radius is almost identical to the typical 1911 one. My Walther is 7.1 inches and an XDM 5.25 is slightly longer than that for comparison. I saw that as a potential advantage of going with one.

I guess the lack of responses for the limited pro, sort of, spells out how popular it is. I'm sure there must be a reason for that, so I'm probably going to shy away from it for the moment.

I guess the lack of responses for the limited pro, sort of, spells out how popular it is. I'm sure there must be a reason for that, so I'm probably going to shy away from it for the moment.

I don't think that's true. The gun is relatively popular, while maybe not in comparison to some of the even more common guns out there. I'm really surprised no one is going down to their safe and slapping a tape measure along one of their full size Tanfo's for you.... Either way, they are supposed to be .25" different, so a good estimate would be somewhere around ~6.81".

That's great. The overall length would be the only thing to worry about then. I'm a little partial to Tanfoglio since I had one of their plastic models that I loved the feel of. I would still have it, but the barrel was too short for competition but the gun was too big to conceal. It would have made a perfect bug class gun, but I got rid of it before they created the class. Bad timing.

Thanks again for the response.

Thank you for the response.

The 6.56 sight radius is almost identical to the typical 1911 one. My Walther is 7.1 inches and an XDM 5.25 is slightly longer than that for comparison. I saw that as a potential advantage of going with one.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone ask the actual measurement of a sight radius. As mentioned that Lim Pro slide is the same basic slide as the Limited and Stock III. Which is plenty.. ;)

Thank you. I don't have access to one, but am considering it. Unlike most people here, obviously, I have to be able to use it in IDPA...yes that nasty word IDPA, because I have to drive over 100 miles to get to the closest USPSA competition. I'm looking at some 1911's and the lim pro right now and am comparing features.

The other issue I have is the " it will fit in the box/it won't fit in the box" battle on the internet with some big people on both sides.

I see the EAA quoted dimension of 9", which is 1/4 inch too big.

The people who I've met that had them say no, they fit...yet I see blogs that say, you have to distort the box to get them in.

I have not seen an actual reported dimension anywhere from a real live one. If anyone has a real life length, I would be grateful. I don't want to plan to get something I can't use.

Again, I appreciate the help

I have a Limited and can tell you the OAL (from the front of the barrel to the rear of the beavertail) is 8.800". The dimension from the back of the rear sight to the back of the front sight is 7.031". Measurements taken with a 12" General steel scale.

Excellent, exactly what I was looking for. I believe I could easily shave .05 inch off the beavertail and not even miss it. That explains how some can fit them in the box and some can't fit them in the new exact dimension box. It's looking better and better.

Thanks so much!