Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Recovery

Soligen

My splits need work, and the problem I think is recoil recovery. I always have to make adjustments to get the sights aligned, which takes time. Other threads suggest live fire is needed, but getting enough is tough.

Here's is a thought for a dry fire drill. What I would like is opinions if this is of value and will help me, or if without real recoil, it's just too different.

The idea is to start with the mussle up, in my best approximation of where I think the top of the muzzle flip is during live fire. At the beep, get good, stable a-zone sight alignment as quick as possible.

What do you think? Would this drill do me good, bad, or not much?

I really don't want to simulate recoil while doing other drills becasue I don't want to have that habit in live fire.

Thanks

Dennis

Dennis,

I don't think that would be helpful at all. In fact, it might be harmful in that you would be using up your dry firing time trying to build a skill that can only be enhanced during live fire.

I know you said it's tough to get enough (live fire), but the "timing" required for the precise return of your sights can only be learned with live fire.

be

• 2 weeks later...

Endorse Jake and Brian fully.. I once tried almost this same thing in dry-fire with a training partner where when the hammer fell, the partner would hit the gun up with a rolled newspaper in an attempt to simulate recoil. This was to address a specific problem however of 'blackout' where for a nanosecond I was losing visual input/contact with the gun.. It help to show me the problem (I was blacking out between the ignition and 'sight lift' phase although my vision did come back in time to catch the back-end of the sight lift...this cause me some hesitation in the shooting cycle.

This was a short duration program and I was sure after this to spend a lot of time, and ammo in live-fire bringing back my timing and recoil recovery to the 'real' thing.

That's a hard one if you can't live fire often.

Try strength exercises:

using a 5 lbs weight and hold out as if you had the gun. 3xs, 1 min each, 30 sec recovery. (Increase as neccesary)

Regardles if you use a tight or < firm grip on the pistol, try strengthening your grip by using a grip strengthener, exercise both hands.

You really do need to spend quality time on the range. Try to really disect your lower and upper shooting platform. Sometimes, the technique may not feel comfortable until you are more familiar with it.

Most times, faster recoil recovery will get you faster splits. And this requires that you've got your grip and stance down correct.

Some times, one gets to a point where the technique is already there yet the splits aren't any faster but now accuracy has caught up. At this point it would be interesting to learn how to work on seeing faster.

Maybe you're trying to align the sights too perfectly when a slightly off one will do fine for your intended shot. ;)

I think that a lot "recoil recovery time" is related to seeing the sights faster. However, if you're too tense it will keep the sights from coming back down naturally. An example would be a boxer being tense as he threw a punch. The punch would be slow going out as well as coming back in. This same effect could be applied to recoil management.

Dry fire practice can help by training your index. Try some of the closed-eye drills that are bound to be described around here. Draw with eyes closed, and then open your eyes--your sights should be aligned. Close eyes, transition somewhere, open eyes again--still aligned?

Basically, you're training your hands to hold the gun with the sights aligned in front of your eye, and to just go to that position when they aren't in it.

Burkett's live fire timing drills also will help.

DogmaDog