Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TacSol Trail Lite barrel front threaded insert issue

Nimitz

post-32005-0-15655600-1438725464_thumb.j

Took my BuckMark apart to replace the recoil assembly & when I went to reinstall the C-More I noticed the threaded insert on the top of the barrel is sticking up about 1/16" so now the Alchin mount won't sit flush on the barrel. I tried tapping it in with a gunsmith hammer but no joy. Anybody got any ideas?

Don't hit it. It's most probably threaded in. In which case you need to get it make a small tool to use those two small holes to turn it back in. If you get the proper tool consider taking it right out. Clean the hole and insert with brake cleaner then re-insert with RED loctite.

Check local hardware stores. It's probably a brand of nutsert, timesert, helicoil etc.

Alternatively tacsol can tell you what type of insert it is.

Edited by BeerBaron

thx. I contacted TacSol and they said to send them back the barrel for them to remount it .... it is a threaded insert and those 2 holes are for using a tool like a split ring wrench to remove it & reinstall it. Also, they said they would use a 2-part epoxy & not lock-tite .... I'll probably use lock-tite so I can shoot it at Saturday's match & then send it in ....

Easy to fix on your own. The insert is reverse threaded obviously. If its an older barrel you need the proper bolt and a jam nut tightened against the insert. Screw it out in reverse, clean the threadlocker off the insert and the barrel threads, recoat the threads with some fresh Loctite re-install and let it sit for some time. Then take the bolt and nut off and you are good to go. If you have a newer barrel the insert has holes for a spanner tool and you can take it off quicker and easier before you do the rest of the process.

You have the newer style barrel.

Whatever do not put threadlocker on the front sight screw as that is one of the ways to end up with the insert loose.

Edited by photoracer

Photoracer, I don't understand why putting thread locker in the front sight screw will make the insert come loose. As stated in another post, I'm in the market for a Tac-Sol barrel. When I get one, I plan on taking the front sight off and shooting without it. Any harm in my plan to remove the front sight and leave it off?

post-32005-0-85757800-1438908977_thumb.j

as you can see, I've removed the front sight. Also, when I contacted TacSol they said It is usually secured with 2-part epoxy & they are going to reseat it for me, they said to use lock-tite with the c-more screw as well ....