Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why does SA/DA pistol fire hammer down on first shot in production

zombywoof

With the federal primers I use in my cz it doesn't take much to set them off. heck ive done it just by pressing to hard on my 650. I might try dropping the hammer from half cock and also a rubber mallet on the hammer on a few primed cases.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I did some testing with primed cases in the cz. Tried dropping the hammer at the approximate distance of half cock. I did this by holding the trigger with one hand and holding the hammer with the other. Since it's very hard to get the hammer exactly the same distance as half cock, I put the hammer back a little further than where halfcock would be.

Equipment: CZ 75 SP01 Shadow with 11.5lb and 13lb hammer spring. Mixed brass with Federal primers. Primers seated between .007"-.015" deep from case head. Rubber mallet.

Results: Holding the trigger and hammer, I could not get a primer to ignite from simulated half cock distance. After multiple attempts, I wanted to see what it would take to set one off. I held the trigger half the distance from fully down to fully cocked SA; no ignition after many attempts. I tried about 3/4 of the distance from fully down to fully cocked SA. This is where primers started to pop. Still inconsistent though. This is about the distance of hammer travel on a DA shot.

I replaced the 11.5lb hammer spring with a 13lb spring and repeated the above. No change in primer ignition.

When the hammer is fully down, the firing pin is pressed forward by the hammer to where no additional firing pin travel is possible. Striking the hammer with a rubber mallet did not accomplish anything as the firing pin was not traveling. With an 11.5 lb hammer spring, it was not possible for me to position the hammer to where the firing pin could still travel. Maybe it would be possible with an 8.5lb spring but I didn't feel like changing it out.

This is one of the dumbest arguments I've read in a while, and that says something, I have to listen to PHD's all day.

1) Is it a disadvantage? No, the national champion shoots one, so clearly not an issue.

2) Is it safe? I'm trusting you to run around with a cocked gun and the safety off just 10-20 seconds after you decock the gun. If you can't handle decocking a gun while calm and off the clock you want me to trust you while going 1000mph blasting at brown?

I rather you safely DQ while decocking your gun towards the berm while standing still. Heck, I'm thinking it is an extra safety feature to tell me some people shouldn't be running around with guns.