Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing recoil springs on M&P Pro

Zoomy

My nephew has a M&P Prom 9mm for production and will not cycle reliably my 130 Power factor 124 grain loads that work fine in my wife's XDm 5.25. I purchased a 13 lb spring for my nephews M&P and found the guide rod had a bolt that held the spring captive. Took 1/4" socket and a pair of vice grips on the other end to remove the bolt. The bolt would not loosen and the other end just spun in the vice grips. I heated the bolt end in case locktite was used. Still no go. Anyone have any ideas. I wanted to buy a non captive aftermarket guide rod but it seems they are all tungsten.

My wife shoots a M&P Pro 9mm. I tried the various reduced power flat springs, and when I got down around 13 lbs the lockup

was iffy. Ended up with a 14 lb round wire Wolff on a non-captive (and not tungsten) Wolff guiderod. It also functioned fine

with a 12 lb Wolff, but the gun felt sluggish.

That nut WILL unscrew, but be careful to not damage the head of the rod with vgrips. Try compressing one end of spring on captured rod and gripping the rod in the gap you created.

SSS has steel guide rods aplenty. And, likely you will end up with a 12-14# recoil spring. Lightening the striker spring will help with lockup when using lighter recoil springs.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...