Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After pulling a round, do you resize before loading?

G19

I recently pulled a small batch of .380acp rounds. I went ahead and reloaded some of them (powder, bullet, crimp). I noticed that a significant number of those rounds did not firmly hold the bullet - I could press the nose of the bullet into the bench with just a little force and the bullet would seat deeper.

I'm guessing the problem is that once a round is loaded and then pulled, it no longer has sufficient neck tension to hold a bullet, and therefore needs to be resized. Is this correct?

Edited by G19

Yes that is correct. I believe some people pull their primer pin and use the same primer again. I just leave it in and reprime

Thanks.

So you deprime the live primers and discard them?

Yes that is correct. I believe some people pull their primer pin and use the same primer again. I just leave it in and reprime

This is what I do and have not had any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't do a whole lot of this, but I size and deprime them just like a fired case. I don't use the primers again. If this is reckless I'm sure someone will let us know.

I don't consider this reckless at all, I reuse the primers all the time, there is nothing wrong with that.

I've pulled many bullets and use a single stage rcbs press to resize and pop out the new primer. I would have to say I probly pull the handle alot gentler on the live primer and then discard it. never had a single incident

You can most certainly, remove the decap pin and resize those cases.

This is what I do and have not had any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can buy brand new primed brass from many manufacturers. The cases from your disassembled rounds are basically the same thing, except for the need to resize the neck area which held the bullet (the rest of the case down towards the head is still as sized as you made it before).

Pull the decap pin and reload as usual.

You can buy brand new primed brass from many manufacturers. The cases from your disassembled rounds are basically the same thing, except for the need to resize the neck area which held the bullet (the rest of the case down towards the head is still as sized as you made it before).

Pull the decap pin and reload as usual.

But DON"T FORGET to empty your primer system! Otherwise you will be crashing primers.