Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

About to Order Parts - Input Appreciated

CrusaderUSA

Tony hit the nail on the head on what I was suggesting about shop guys not being comp guys.

I think in absolute terms rifle gas systems may be "undergassed", and when you look at a comparative histogram of dwell times it may appear like it's waaaaaay out there.

But in real world terms I didn't see or hear of other shooters complaining about their rifle-length systems causing short cycling with their rifles so I got what better the shooters were using and am glad I did.

My first dedicated game upper was an LAR side charger which came with a BCG that is heavier than milspec. Everything cycled fine, in the dead of winter, at 6000+ feet of elevation, using factory ammo, in a rifle length system.

Everything still cycles fine today in 100+ degree heat, at the same altitude, using a lightweight BCG, and a mousefart's worth of gas. Looking through the reticle on splits is like shooting a nerf gun.

Do it. Do it. Give into the internet peer pressure!

Really, you're trying to get away from your heavy barrel 16" platform for a reason. Go full Hurr-Durr on the gas system to find what you're looking for.

Edited by BitchinCamaro

I hear the collective internet chant: "Rifle length! Rifle length! You're not scared, are you?" :goof:

You're right. I'm not spending all this money just to end up with a rifle that is only slightly different in performance from what I already have. I'm going to go order that barrel!

Good, there's really nothing to be scared of. The bolt carrier I use with my rifle length gas system is a M16...it's not even CLOSE to a lightweight setup for a BCG and I still don't have any malfunctions with commercially loaded ammo.

At the end of the day, I wanted an 18" barrel. I had as many recommendations for the Nordic as I did for the Black Hole Weaponry barrel, and I was curious about the polygonal rifling, so I went with the BHW barrel with the rifle-length gas system (which pretty much everyone was recommending).

I figure I can always sell the barrel if for some reason it doesn't perform the way I want it to.

• 4 weeks later...