Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How does the powder measure work on the 550 / SDB for flake powder?

More tire kicking, again, still.

My Lee turret has issues with bridging using flakes like 700x or any other shot shell powder. Does the dillon measure on either of these presses do a better job metering those types of powder?

Lee powder measures work very well with Clays. The Dillon measure was/is built off an original Lee patent.

I've never seen any clays on the shelf before so sadly I have no clue how it meters in my Lee. I do know with 700x I get bridging issues, especially if the adjustable charge bar is chasing smaller charge weights.

I've gone through 4 lbs of 700-X in my 550 with good results. Initially, it had inconsistent drops. I found that lightly tapping on the powder measure for a minute then dropping 20-30 loads eventually settled it down. Working like a charm ever since.

700-X is a nice fast powder that most people avoid just because it is a flake powder. More for everyone else who has the patience to work with it. Makes PF with room to spare for me.

The adjustable charge bar on the Lee doesn't work well for low charges, even Lee says so. it's better to use the set charge discs as they will never change.

I'm not trying miniscule charges, this is a 4.6 gr charge on the charge bar, which with any small ball powder it is boringly consistent with.