Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New uspsa shooter

Hey guys I shot my first uspsa event yesterday and I really like it. What are let's say the top 5 drills a new shooter can do to get better. Due to my local club I have access to all stage equipment so I can set anything I want up...

Does anyone know of a good class I can take in central Texas for uspsa shooting? I would like to have someone look me over before I try and practice bad habits .

Dry fire training is a great way to practice many of the skills that will help you improve in USPSA. You can do it at home anytime without the cost of ammo, etc of live fire. I recently picked up one of Ben Stoeger's dry fire training books and some of his scaled down dry fire targets and really feel like it is helping a lot. Only thing else you really need is a timer of some sort. I use a free shooting timer app I downloaded on my iPhone and it works well enough.

anyone know of a good class I can take in central Texas for uspsa shooting before I practice bad habits .

+1. Great Idea. Your local club members should know of best place

to get instruction locally - Frostproof, Florida has good instruction.

My favorite drill (depending on how high up the pole you are right

now) is the Dot Torture Drill. :cheers:

What kinda dry fire drills are you doing? The only dry fire work i have done is standing about 10 yards from a light switch draw fire the first shot at the switch speed reload and get back onto the switch. I did not do to bad we had about 15 production shooters i was 12th. I did not win with speed but i shot all a's but 16 in a 166 shot match. Im shooting a Glock 34 with a CR speed belt with 4mags.

I'd say start here: http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/Dry-Fire-Training-by-Ben-Stoeger-p/dry-fire-training.htm

It's got a very good place to start, drills to use, a schedule to work on them, and you can work on specific area's that you feel you need the most work. In terms of classes here, you missed a Stoeger class here a few months ago.

My other suggestion would be to have a look at: http://www.krtraining.com/

Their competition series of class is going to be pretty solid, both Karl and Roy are excellent shooters, and do a great job of imparting knowledge to people.

Work El Presidente into your dry fire, and live fire. It gives you practice on: facing up range starts, surrender position, turn and draw, transitions and reloads. All that training with just 12 rounds. ;)

Just shoot for a while and identify some things you think you "suck at" and then work on those. If you don't feel like your draw is holding you back, why practice that? Not to say it doesn't need work, but we have to start somewhere and especially in the beginning the list can be overwhelming.

Keep the list small and work on a thing or two during each session.

Also, keep in mind that dry fire is coupled with visualization. Print out, or buy some small IPSC targets so that your acceptable tight picture is an Alpha Hit, and not a light switch. It really will help.

I just finished a class with Max Michel. One of the more interesting aspects was his emphasis on shooting fundamentals.

As a new shooter your biggest improvements are going to come from your dry fire routine. Julie G has some good recommendations. Personally, I prefer Mike Seeklander's book on competitive handgun.

Additionally, Mike talked to me about training scars, i.e., training with improper technique will come back to haunt you in a match. Saul talks more about this topic.

So to me it is fundamentals of shooting, movement, accuracy and dry fire are the keys to improvement.