Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grand Power vs "CZ" platforms

I had a long carefully worded post and I discovered if you try to highlight text and hit backspace it deletes the entire post....insert expletive __________

Not once, but twice insert second expletive _______

I am intrigued to find a 9mm with less perceived recoil and faster settling of sights....(and get away from striker)

My CZ experience is limited to a EAA 10mm I bought a month ago and the .40 barrel I got for it 2 weeks ago; and I got a Sphinx Alpha Compact Friday

Here is what I like so far about the Sphinx; Gun is comfortable in my hand, has enough frame mass to get a good grip, recoil felt very controllable; (I shot weak hand better than I ever recall)

Weak hand felt so good, I am considering switching to lefty (I am left eye dominant) granted I did not have my VP9 there it compare. I also appreciate the quality of the gun, and prefer to buy quality to begin with vs spending as much on upgrades as you did on the gun (like a glock); I also desire one brand/style that I can compete, carry and "play" with at the farm; IF that gun does not leave me with any disadvantages with production class shooting. I also like the fact that Sphinx has/or promises to have different weights in the same size gun (duotone, alpha, black) (clearly I want to like the Sphinx)

Downsides to Sphinx that I see is the lack of parts or aftermarket support and the small problem that the gun I want is not sold yet...

I will be competing locally (production, 3 gun maybe some IDPA) but as much want a platform for general use if practical

How are you guys finding the Grand Power X-caliber claims of lighter felt recoil relative to its weight? I don't see how the rotating barrel helps mitigate recoil as it claims? without some springs to resist the barrel its just a passive movement to unlock.

I started this journey wanting a Cajunized SP-01 Shadow, then Tactical; Looking hard at the EAA Stock 2 or Limited Pro (I wish I could find a stock 3 slide in 9mm)

All of these are impossible to test fire; so I seek opinions on the above guns

If the Sphinx standard comes out soon, how do you guys think it will stack up to the GP? Specifically- perceived recoil, and trigger; but also any variables I am overlooking (sight radius, mag capacity, controls)

Do you guys think that among the guns I am leaning towards that its at the point of splitting hairs; in that at a intermediate level any of the above are not hindering my abilities...and just pick one?

Edited by scubadds

I like to separate recoil into two categories.

Muzzle Rise - the lift at the front of the guns, including the vertial climb ( and vertical dip of the return) of sights.

rearward motion this is how hard the gun hits your hand.

The grand power design gives you a lower relative bore axis compared to many because of no lower lug required, etc. this helps mitigate flip, also the barrel doesn't need to go UP it goes in a small semi-circle, this also helps to mitigate flip, The Grand power recoil is more straight back. The other way this mitigates recoil is they use a lighter recoil spring than others the rearward motion of the barrel helps to absorb some recoil as well, a proper recoil spring setup in any gun gives it the optimum "feel" Grand power does this from the factory on the X-Cal and a light recoil spring, if you grab a K100 with a factory heavy spring (made for full house nato rounds) it won't be much lighter just different.

The X-Cal and X-Trim have very light slides also, this makes for less reciprocating mass.

the Ergonomics of the grip fit my hand better than most plastic guns. this helps reduce the felt recoil also.

Am I paid by Grand power, NO, is this grand power sales pitch, No, heck some of the stuff i stated may not be "technically" incorrect correct, but it's how I feel it makes the gun work and the best way I can communicate it. ... Do I have a couple and love them, YES. It's always been hard for me to find a gun that fits me right.

That said. I think the cheapest bet is pick up a K100 an X-Cal Recoil spring and Extended mag release, and start shooting. I don't mind the stock sights. though I will probably upgrade to something steel and fancier at some point. I put the X-Calibur safeties on.. since I have shot many production guns and have a high grip... they didn't help my grip at all. but they are $13 per side should you so choose. and my youtube channel has a quick how to on changing those out.

thanks guys.... I did check out episode 60; Good stuff I have reasonable expectations of what I buy will do and not do; I feel like my accuracy is fine, its the follow up shots and second sight picture that I am questioning

If your spending the money, might as well make a good choice....

If you shoot regular matches with a decent number of people at them, start asking around about who has one of each of these guns. I know I have seen at least some variant of each one of these guns at local matches in the last few months. You really need to get each one in your hands and see how it fits, how the controls agree, or don't, with your hand. If at all possible, shoot the guns to see how they feel and how you can follow the sights and recover for follow up shots. In the end of the day the gun you shoot best is the one for you. A big part of what made a difference for me is trigger finger placement. Different grip sizes make your trigger finger have to bend at different angles to reach the trigger. I found the EAA guns to allow my finger to be closest to perpendicular to the trigger face as the trigger breaks in SA, so that is what I went with. For production guns it is not something you can change much, short of different grips or the palm swells on the X-cal.

Any of the CZ pistols should be pretty soft shooters, I have a P09 in .40 cal that doesn't have much more recoil than my XDM 5.25 9mm that I shoot matches with. If you really want less felt recoil you should consider reloading your own ammo. Heavy bullets and fast powder make for some super soft shooting.

Dave, I see you are In Wilmington also

I do reload, So that will help.

I had taken a break from shooting, and sold my stuff to a commercial reloading company here....

Now they are up and running making 100k rounds a week.

They quickly outgrew my stuff...so I bought it back

I went over to shooters choice and tried the p-09 yesterday...I could not shoot my ( or my friends factory remans) reloads

As it was a range rental and you have to shoot their ammo.....it shot nice...

But my Sphinx compact with soft 147s felt better ( but I atrribute that biased feeling to ammo)

Hope to see you at ant hill or bucc

Bryan

Dave, I see you are In Wilmington also

I do reload, So that will help.

I had taken a break from shooting, and sold my stuff to a commercial reloading company here....

Now they are up and running making 100k rounds a week.

They quickly outgrew my stuff...so I bought it back

I went over to shooters choice and tried the p-09 yesterday...I could not shoot my ( or my friends factory remans) reloads

As it was a range rental and you have to shoot their ammo.....it shot nice...

But my Sphinx compact with soft 147s felt better ( but I atrribute that biased feeling to ammo)

Hope to see you at ant hill or bucc

Bryan

Well, small world huh? I shot the same rental P09 at shooters choice before I bought mine. I did run some of my own 147gr ammo through it (I've been shooting and buying stuff there a long time so I get cut a lot of slack there, just don't tell anyone:) ) and there is a noticeable lack of felt recoil compared to my XDM. I shot my XDM and the P09 back to back and the first round I fired through the P09 really caught me off guard it was so soft. Almost felt like a squib, and this was with upper 130's PF 147's. I can't imagine how soft it would shoot with some really downloaded ammo or some 160gr loads.

BTW, I shoot a lot of matches at Ant Hill and Buc(actually a member at Buc and the Action Pistol match director) we may have shot together before. You should give the Action Pistol matches a try.

Edited by dave33