Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Loads for 180gr Lead

Vitaly

I have been looking for data on .40 S&W for 180 gr. Lead bullet (Hardcast). I have only one extensive manual that doesn’t list any (never mind the factory leaflets supplied with different powders). Can anyone enlighten me on this regard? I am looking for data that uses Universal Clays or Titegroup powders. HELP!!!

Vitaly,

The Lasercast manual lists both Universal and Titegroup for their 180gr Flat Point bullet

start                       max

universal     5.1gr     944 fps      5.5gr    1016 fps  1.190 OAL

Titegroup    4.2gr     960 fps      4.6gr    1016 fps  1.190 OAL  

These were out of an Enterprise Test Gun with a 5" Barsto Barrell, WSP primers

I think Eric was being careful for your sake concerning the reduced load for lead, as you should always start slightly lower if you are not using the identical set that was tested.

Generally lead projectiles will require more powder to generate the same velocity all other components being equal. Winchesters laod data sheet shows this the best AFAIK

Remeber more pressure usually = more velocity

Lead is heavier so therefore the projectile will be slightly smaller = less friction = less pressure, and will occupy less space in the case = less pressure

Lead is softer and is more slippery = less friction.

IN THEORY!!!!!

NEGATIVE! Lead bullets take less powder. They seal the bore better than jacketed. Any of the manuals will show at least a .1-.3 difference. That is why a lead bullet at the same PF will generally have less perceived recoil. You need less powder to make the PF.