Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Elite Limited 10mm Magazine Issues

LP10

Hey guys, I am in need of some knowledge and guidance. The gun came with 4 10mm mags and they seem to only be causing issues for me. While shooting, the rounds will occasionally nose dive while inside of the mag, causing the slide to lock and and force me to bang on the bottom of the mag to get the round to chamber. In two of the mags I have new extra power springs with new followers and in the other two are used normal power springs. I have had this happen in every magazine ruling out that the issue may be the springs and/or followers. This leaves me at the magazine tubes themselves being the issue. I like the concept to use the 10mm mags because this allows me to load long at 1.185 OAL. I had a witness match before this and ran K40 mags with the spacer plate that only allowed me to load to 1.135 OAL.

Is this a normal issue? Is anyone else running 10mm mags instead of the K40 mags? Is it worth it to just buy the K40's and shorten the OAL or try new 10mm mags from EAA Corp?

Any and all help/input is appreciated. Very frustrating to loose a match due to equipment failure and not personal error.

Thank you

I you want to use old style 10mm mags for .40, you need to load longer, 1.2" min.

There won't be a feeding issue with the round being that long?

Which do you prefer for a .40... K40's or 10mm?

I prefer K40s for .40, the old style are not easy to get running right. The old "load as long as you can" advice is a hangover from the early days of .40 in 19/2011 when the mags wouldn't feed factory length ammo reliably. It's true the pressure is generally lower in longer loads given the same charge, but you don't make the same PF, so you end up using more powder.

I prefer K40s for .40, the old style are not easy to get running right. The old "load as long as you can" advice is a hangover from the early days of .40 in 19/2011 when the mags wouldn't feed factory length ammo reliably. It's true the pressure is generally lower in longer loads given the same charge, but you don't make the same PF, so you end up using more powder.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Best place to buy K40 mag tubes? Mec gar vs eaa?

I had the same issue running long (1.180" OAL) .40 in 10mm Triangle-T mags. See video here: https://youtu.be/YyNDIJIug0o

I tried a buddy's K40 mag and it fed factory length ammo perfectly.

Exile Machine has them for $21.65 each plus shipping: https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/mag-eaa-wit-40sw-15rd-ful-stl-pol-64246.html

I had the same issue running long (1.180" OAL) .40 in 10mm Triangle-T mags. See video here: https://youtu.be/YyNDIJIug0o

Exile Machine has them for $21.65 each plus shipping: https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/mag-eaa-wit-40sw-15rd-ful-stl-pol-64246.html

Same exact issue as in your vid.

You switched to K40's and have not had an issue? What is your OAL?

I had the same issue running long (1.180" OAL) .40 in 10mm Triangle-T mags. See video here:

Same exact issue as in your vid.

You switched to K40's and have not had an issue? What is your OAL?

1.125" OAL with no troubles.

• 1 month later...

I have 10mm mags with henning base plates and grams spring & follower kits, I load bayou bullets 180gr no lube rings to 1.230 and most of the time they work fine. however i can see when loading to 19 (max reloadable with my setup) the 2nd round from the top is level instead of nose high, causing nose dive of the top round. On some its to the point where I have a lot of trouble down loading magazines, but then in the gun they are fine, bizzarre. I had always thought that there was no way i could ever get new mags for this gun due to availability or compatibility but I may try to assemble one from exile with a grams follower kit and see if I can get some smoother feeding mags. to replace the 10mm ones.

Edited by Wiseguy724

I assemble two k10 mags with Grams followers/springs and Henning bases and the fed fine. The problem was, if loaded to 19 rds or more. the mags expanded and would not fit in the gun. Take the 19th round out and they fit fine. K40 mags work great for me, loaded to 1.14".

• 1 month later...

just got a k40 and with stock follower in a henning pad i loaded 19 at 1.125 and they seem to be a success. will fire this weekend but they hand cycle and are easily downloadable, first round slides off by hand as smooth as the last, looks promising. grams kit will be here tomorrow for a possible 20 reloadable. don't know if op is still having trouble but I'll post results here so its out there to maybe help others in the future as well.

I'm using the K10 setup with the Henning bases, Grams followers and springs. I'm able to get 20 in the mag. You know there is 20 because you can see the brass base at the bottom-left of the mag. The mag does bulge so I used a knife sharpening stone to grind down the magwell entry (must remove magwell). It took about an hour worth for grinding both sides and then polished it up with a dremel. My OAL is at 1.135. I thought about lengthening it, but after reading some of these posts perhaps I'm good with what I got. It helps to grind down the pointy part (where the pin is) of the Henning basepad as that could hit the back of the magwell and make it tough to lock up. Of course, I didn't think of this stuff on my own. Another shooter who shoots the same gun taught me. So far no hiccups like what I saw in that video. I just bought this gun from this forum about a month ago. I've used it in three outdoor and three indoor matches since then.