Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio extractor identification help!

Hi Guys,

my eric custom V12 snapped the head off the extractor last week. No big deal, I have ordered a new one.

However, the new one is possibly going to arrive too late for my steel match next week.

I got 5 spare ones off a mate but have a problem.

My eric custom V12 is a large frame 38 super. The extractor I pulled out has number 8 on it.

Of the 5 spares I got 2 have a number 9 on them (one of which is missing the paddle part of the hook) and the other 3 have 3 dots arranged in a triangle shape.

The shape of the body on the one stamped 9 is closest to my 8. I put it in (the one that still had the paddle bit on the hook) but it's marking up the rims on my brass and had a couple of fail to extracts.

The one with the 3 dots has a different shape to the 'body' but tip is similar.

Caveat: it's possible some of these came off a CZ.. can't say for sure.

My guess is the 8 is short for 38 super and the 9 for 9mm.

My question is does anyone know what the 3 dots one is? it seems the 9mm extractor doesn't want to run too well in my 38 super breach. it seems too long.

I noticed eric sells a 38 super comp and 38 super extractor. My pistol previoiusly run super and super comp just fine. as far as I know there was no such thing as a super comp extractor so I wonder if the one he sells is a super extractor with the pad filed down a little to give some more grab on the rimless case? anyone know? I nearly ordered both as an experiment.

Any extractor knowledge accepted gratefully. :)

BeerBaron:

I don't have any extractors with the 3 dots on them.

However I have run the #9 extractor in my Tanfo, but mine did need some help to get it to work.

I'm not sure where your brass is getting marked, if it's on the outside edge of the rim or inside groove.

Mine was marking on the inside groove of the rim. And what I ended up doing was gently removing a tiny bit of material off the leading edge that grabs the case rim so it was no longer touching the inside groove or pocket of the rim. ( And of coarse only remove a little bit at a time and check often. )

And for some reason the other issue I had with the #9, is when it was installed, the spring was completely stacked and I had no movement with the extractor at all. So I ended up cutting a coil off to give it that little bit of movement back and forth without loosing the integrity of holding onto the empty case.

I'm not sure if this is going to help you out any, and it also may only be a temporary fix. In my situation, after a few thousand rounds, it ended up developing a small chip in it.

Yours may last longer.

Best of luck.

Edited by gennaro

yeah, I have a similar issue. you know there is the claw part and sort of below that is kind of a paddle shape (I guess it helps push the round forward and then deflects the extrator outwards so it can get passed the rim). so mine is marking up the backside of the case head/rim and a little inside the groove.

I think I'll just hope my #8 turns up this week and fit that one. I think the number 9 in use on a 38 super slide is too deep. I'd need to grind off part of what I call the paddle as well as part of the hook/claw.

thanks for the help. you always have the answers. :)

I've given up for now and spent last night getting my steel challenge rimfire gun ready. 22/45 lite. put in new volquartsen trigger, hammer, sear, hammer bush, slide racker, thumb rest. Was about to put on the cmore mount but having a hell of a time drifting out the rear sight. going to put down the tanfo and finish off the 22/45 tonight and hope my extractor arrives before I need to shoot the tanfo.

That's it exactly, mine did the very same thing.

Don't worry if the new extractors you pick up have no markings on them.

I had gotten a few of those a little while back, and had to put them side by side with the original to make sure they were the same, ( which for me at times can be a slightly difficult thing to see ). But they dropped right in and ran just fine.

Have a great time at your steel challenge.

Best of luck.

Haha, my eyesight sucks too. Hence the open guns!

I spent last night fighting with the 22/45 so that took my mind off the tanfo. The 22 had the tightest rear sight I've ever had to drift out. I was nearly convinced there was a hidden screw. I'm guessing it's partly because it's a steel sight in an anodized aluminum dovetail. Don't even get me started on the losded chamber indicator pin. Let's just say a dremel was involved....

Yeah I wish I had my eye sight back from 10 years ago.

And I use to work on my projects using finesse,

now it seems that I'm using the big hammer and a dremel more. ( I do like using the dremel though. )

Best of luck.

Haha, my eyesight sucks too. Hence the open guns!

I spent last night fighting with the 22/45 so that took my mind off the tanfo. The 22 had the tightest rear sight I've ever had to drift out. I was nearly convinced there was a hidden screw. I'm guessing it's partly because it's a steel sight in an anodized aluminum dovetail. Don't even get me started on the losded chamber indicator pin. Let's just say a dremel was involved....

I run a Buckmark because the grip is the same (or very close) angle as the Tanfoglio.