Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DRYFIRE

MANDOWN75

Most will agree that dryfiring a quality centerfire handgun will not damage it, however a snap cap is cheap insurance and stops the fretting.

I'm no 1911 expert, and those that are seem to be divided on dropping the slide on an empty chamber. I don't do it with my Berettas, which is cheap insurance also.

(I think it's interesting that we worry so much about doing these things to our guns, but setting off countless controlled burn explosions in our pistolas doesn't bother us at all.)

Also, most vets will tell you that those GI 1911s were dry fired MILLIONS of times with no ill effect, and I know the requirement for the French army adopting the Beretta specified 10,000 dry snaps, with some guns going to 20,000 with no issues.

Good Luck,

SA

According to Tony Kidd (maker of the o-so-cool 10/22 trigger), dryfiring a 22 rimfire is perfectly OK in a modern, quality rifle.  I think he would know, considering his trigger is more $$$ than most 22 rifles.

Gee, thanks alot Flex!!!   To think of all the time I spent tuning equipment!!!  Next time could ya post those morsels alittle sooner.  

Dave,  did he have an opinion on rimfire pistols?  Specifially  Ruger 22/45's.

(Oops,,,thumb missed the 't' first time.  Probably worried I would hit the 'caps lock' by mistake.)

(Edited by 3quartertime at 7:27 am on Aug. 17, 2002)

Ditto on the above posts.  I dryfire all my 1911's as much as I can.  As soon as one breaks, I'll let you know!

3/4time.  I'm not sure which is scarier .. the fact that you hit 't' on the keyboard with your thumb or the fact that apparently your thumb is big enough to show concern about mashing caps lock whilst going for the 't' =)

BradC

A46143

Dry fire will not hurt the Ruger MK II or the 22/45 because the round cross pin that goes through the firing pin stops the tip of the firing pin from hitting the chamber. Could it ever wear enough from dry firing so that contact occurred? I suppose. I've never seen it. No idea if the old Ruger MKI had the same feature.

Don't drop the slide on a 1911 w/o a round or snap cap fed from the mag. Doing so will damage trigger components.

1911 Dry fire can broke any tungsteen parts!

This hapened with me... (yesterday)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

tell us more! Tungsten? Only W (chemical symbol for tungsten) parts I know of are magwells and guide rods. How on earth would dry-fire break one of those???? Yeah, I've heard about breaking W guide rods, but hell, no, not during *dry*fire!!! Explain.

--D.

Gee, I'm from the old school when we used steel firing pins and they were good for many thousands of dry fire practice sessions.  How about taking your race parts out of the gun B4 you dry fire, and use steel (periodic  chart designator unknown)

Detlef:

Sorry I had confused all !!

Flexmoney:

Thanks, I really change the names, is Titanium...

All:

The part that had broked is the STRUT (I´m not sure the name is correct, but is that part that links the hammer with the mainspringhouse.

My gunsmith told me to never do dryfire with titanium parts because is very great the chance to broke... like happens to me...

(but I don´t care, I change the STRUT and dryfire again, because I think dryfire is good and funny!)

Please, if the name is not correct, somebody tell me the correct name...

Luiz,  I think you are my new 'favorite' poster.

"(but I don´t care, I change the STRUT and dryfire again, because I think dryfire is good and funny!)"

LOL,  now THAT is good comedy!!!

And I thought benos had the market cornered on phrases that make me say,,,WHAT?

No offense Luiz,  sometimes us midwesterners find humor under any old rock.  I really truely have no room to talk.  I murder my own language on a regular basis.  At least you are probably trying to get it right!!!

Keep it comin' mi amigo!!!

3quartertime:

Gracias Amigo..

Bseevers:

My Strut broked with 40.000 rounds (about 2 years..2000/ month) and who knows 80.000 dryfires.

I think that when dryfiring we pull the hammer down (with the finger..) diferent when shoot, where the slide pull the hammer back. With dryfiring the presure on the join (join  that links the hammer <-> strut (that litlle circle where goes the strut pin..)) is greater.

I remember that 6 months ago, I also have the firing pin sprint damaged, but I don´t know if it happened because of dryfiring or not...

Yes I can see the pressure being "different" with a thumbcock vs gun slide recoil. I have broke just about every part on a gun you can break but would think you should get more life out of a strut. Look for any shiny spots on the broken strut to see problem. Its really not a wear part but you never know with these things Good luck. Dry firing is good for increasing scores.

Ti is just so brittle. I'd guess that any breakage that occured during dry firing would have occured during live fire at some point as well, just "luck of the draw" it happened while dry firing.

Parts do wear and break. Ti especially seems to be very fickle to shattering. But I've never seen a properly setup 1911 with steel parts suffer any kind of parts failure due specifically to dry firing.