Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Class Benelli

latewatch

I'm wanting to set my Benelli S90 up for open class. I have never shot open class in 3 gun. What barrel length would be best? Is barrel porting much of an advantage? What are the pros/cons for electric vs. open sights on an IPSC shotgun? And does the Arrendondo loading chute help with loading??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You will get many opinions on this but this is what my Benelli had-

24" barrel no porting

Tec loader brackets

extended safety

extended tube

dot mounted on rib

I really don't see much difference with and without porting. Others may.

Good luck!

Latewatch,

Porting will make a big difference if you are using stout loads (Hi-base 4 etc.). With lite loads (3 Dram), the ports at the end of a 24-26" bbl are not getting enough gas to do much, so there is the reason most folks don't notice much result with porting alone.

The parts that will make a shotgun competitive in open are as follows.

- red dot sight (8 MOA dot is best IMO and the J-Point/Docter will give the lowest mount position)

- Lotsa TEC-Loader tubes (6 or more)

- 10 round mag tube

- 22" + bbl, threaded to take screw-in chokes

- selection of chokes for different occasions (IC and Mod are probably the best options to keep around)

Speed safety button and Arredondo bracket are gilding and not a necessity to be competitive in Open.

Welcome to the dark side ;-)

--

Regards,

I would have to disagree with Bill H. and George on barrel porting. It makes a world of difference when done right, light or heavy loads. Of coarse, the heavy loads have more gas, thus have more effect. You need at least 4" of barrel, past the porting to the muzzel, to make the porting work, otherwise the wad is not pluging the barrel long enough to make the porting work. My 21" Benelli has the porting stopped at 5" from the muzzel.

As far as function is concerned, you will need to run a minimum for 3dram - 1 1/8 oz loads for reliability, with a feild stock, and maybe more with a pistol grip stock. Remember that a M1S90 is a recoil activated gun, and if you take all the recoil out of the gun, (porting, light loads, extra firm grip on the gun) it will not cycle reliably. Open Benelli's that run 100%, are highly modified internally, and the shooter knows it's limitations.

That's an interesting point Beven. I hadn't considered the back pressure the wad is providing to prevent gas bleed-off reducing gas pressure at the ports. My observation was based on way back when I always used 3.75Dram 1.25Oz #4 and didn't have porting, then added porting (2 inches back from the muzzle). I noticed a substantial reduction in muzzle lift with that same heavy loading, but when I switched to 3 Dram, 1.125 OZ, 7.5's it no longer shot any different than friends 1100/11-87's without porting.

That also does a better job of explaining the JP recoil eliminator being very effective on my 11-87 with light loads since it is mounted just beyond halfway down the barrel.

I'm still stickin' with the JPoint/Docter being the best type of red dot sight for a shotgun though ;-)

<Shameless Plug Mode On:>BTW, I forgot to mention that Beven Grams makes the nicest loading bracket I have ever seen for the Benelli series. It is what I would put on my Remington if he made them for the Remington.

<Shameless Plug Mode Off:>

--

Regards,

Edited by George