Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sliding Wall Ports - Disappearing Targets?

RaylanGivens

^Heads on the close ones were available from the upper port. I heard of at least one person who shot the popper thru the low port (to drop the window) then stood up and shot the remaining four papers thru the top port.

It just made sense to me to shoot all four paper and the popper from the low port (once I barney'd on the clock to get enough rounds in the gun...).

Received an answer from Troy (DNROI).

After doing a little research and reading the rules thoroughly, the only way this type setup would be legal is if you designated them as disappearing targets. Unless there was some way to re-open the port, or shoot them from another location, they disappear behind hard cover that covers all the target. See 4.2.5

We use hard cover, such as walls, to cover targets until we want to make them available to the competitor, but if it permanently covers the target, then that stage is essentially illegal, unless the targets can be engaged from some other part of the course of fire, or the port or hardcover can be moved or opened by the competitor. Essentially, though, once they have gone away, they are disappearing targets.

Regards,

Troy

Why not just make it so the window covering can be manually lifted if required? I'm sure it has to be to be reset anyway. As one of the ideas Troy put in his response

Edited by terrydoc

well, area 1 championships had a similar contraption. I'm pretty sure that there were 2 targets that were not available after you closed the port, and I'm pretty sure they were NOT scored as NPM.

I don't see anything in the rulebook that would support treating this situation as a disappearing target under the rulebook definition. 9.9.2 clearly applies to *moving* scoring targets, and these are not those.

There is nothing in the rulebook that requires a shooter to be able to change his mind and shoot a target right before he unloads and shows clear in order for it to not be classified as 'disappearing'.

Actually, the heads were available through the upper port - so they were not "disappearing".

As I recall it looked slightly different than this depiction, but it gives folks an idea of what is being discussed.

http://www.idahouspsa.com/area1/pdf/1.pdf

I was pretty sure only the 2 back targets were available through the upper port. I don't recall any portion of the two closer targets being visible, but I was tired when I shot it.

The "B" zone was blacked out and only the upper "A" zone was visible. (I shot all the center targets from the low port anyway, but thought about (and rejected) the alternate option). :mellow:

Why not just make it so the window covering can be manually lifted if required? I'm sure it has to be to be reset anyway. As one of the ideas Troy put in his response

That can be done. The trick is to do it in such a way that it's equally friendly to righties and lefties, and that it doesn't turn into a DQ station as people sweep themselves....