Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I move up to 1050 from 550

The main problem I have with the 1050 is the lack of lifetime warranty; there are an awful lot of moving parts that you are on your own for with that machine...but I don't shoot matches, just for pleasure. I AM looking at processing quite a lot of brass, however, including mucho 300 Blackout, so my opinion on the 1050 might very-well change once I really can make use of the swager station. I've heard the 1050 is worth the expense for the swaging alone.

eventhough you dont use crimped brass, the expand and swage is still awesome. I have a dedicated 1050 with mrbf for 45acp

45 acp is just a nice cartridge.

the swager will also lett you "sense" SPP sneaking in.

Hey John Wayne: You're right. I couldn't imagine parting with my 550. I'm planning on setting up the 1050 just for .45 ACP, and using the 550 for everything else. Mainly because the 550 is so easy to convert (and, I never get rid of anything). The goal is to be about ankle deep in cartridges in the shortest time possible.

Thanks

My two cents: I used a 550 without a casefeeder for over 20 years, and would load up to 15,000 rounds per year of 40 or 38 Super. Last year I traded it for a 650 with a casefeeder to load 9mm Major.

I miss my 550. I used to load so many calibers, quickly enough, but now only 9mm major. And the 650 constantly splashes the powder, even with the bearing upgrade. I didn't have that problem with a 550 loading any caliber, since you turn it yourself. And don't get me started on the HOURS wasted with the swagged range brass stopping the 650!

So, if you are loading 9mm, either mafor or minor, or 223, I'd suggest the 1050 due to the swagging.

For any other caliber, if you really need to load faster than a 550 with a case feeder, get a 650 with a case feeder. I might even consider a trade, if you want.

Bob

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ramairbrc: sounds like the 650 is not the best choice for me.

Frank34: thanks for another verification of the 1050. I think that's the way I'll go.

Iaturnkey: I plan on not changing calibers with the 1050. I'll keep my 550 for that.

Thanks all