Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the difference?

Iggy42

Since I keep eye balling Tanfos for 3 gun (although no luck finding any in stock when I go price checking) I have a question.

What in the world is the difference between a cone barrel (Limited) and a straight barrel (Limited Pro)? I assume that the cone is supposed to give a tighter lock-up and be more accurate, but I have no idea really.

Also given that my main game is 3 gun, would a Lim Pro be a better choice v a Limited? I realize that the Lim Pro would need "more" done to it, but odds are I would be switching a lot of the guts in either model anyway, unless I misunderstand what all folks are doing to these guns.

Still trying to solve my platform dilemma

If I wanted a 3 gun specific gun and funds weren't an issue this would be my order of preference.

All in 9mm of course.

Limited, Stock III, Stock II, Limited Pro

The SII, SIII, and Lim Pro are all DAs that I would do a SA conversion on.

If you like the 6" go with a Hunter.

The Limited in 9mm would be the ultimate choice.

It comes with a longer 4.75" Cone Barrel. Its already SA and comes with a magwell.

All the others you are giving up something out of the box that you will have to mod.

Edited by praetorian97

It comes with a longer 4.75" Cone Barrel. Its already SA and comes with a magwell.

All the others you are giving up something out of the box that you will have to mod.

I agree with the Limited being the top choice. I am going to shoot my Stock iii in 3 gun. Plan on making it SA and add a magwell. Hoping to trade my other Stock iii for a Limited pro in 9mm cuz I think it'd make a good 3-gun pistol as well.

You dont need a magwell Bayou LOL. 3 gunners hate reloading. Just throw a big stick in there and call it good ;)

TBH you get what 23/24 capacity with a Henning Basepad/Grams Follower. Thats like a whole stage worth of pistol for three gun :sight:

Edited by praetorian97

I shoot both a Lim Pro 4.75" straight barrel and a Stock 2 4.5" Cone barrel.

I can't really tell much difference in practice, at least not yet. I think the little bit of extra length and weight at the end of the Lim Pro offsets the cone barrel weight advantage.

Limited sounds like the best of both worlds but not USPSA Production legal for me.

Maybe I am off here, but my understanding is that most folks are putting EGW/Henning/Xtreme internals in Limiteds anyway. If that is the case than using SA internals and adding a magwell is no big deal to a Lim Pro.

Really trying to understand what any of the Tanfo models have to go through to be 3-gun ready. If it helps think about getting any Tanfo model ready for USPSA Limited division, not interested in a Production gun/rules.

Those parts are typical mods for all Tanfo guns. If you buy an SII/SIII or Lim pro they are DA guns. Now you can rack the gun and put in SA mode.

Remember Im talking purists. Like this is a dedicated 3 Gun Gat you are not duel purposing or wanting to mod outside of the norm.

Edited by praetorian97

You dont need a magwell Bayou LOL. 3 gunners hate reloading. Just throw a big stick in there and call it good ;)

TBH you get what 23/24 capacity with a Henning Basepad/Grams Follower. Thats like a whole stage worth of pistol for three gun :sight:

The way you shoot spinners, you'd need at least 3 mags... ;)

It will see time in other shooting games, but its main goal in life will be 3 gun and will be set up for such. Even though it will me a 9mm 3 gun pistol, being that it will also fall in USPSA Limited it will get run in USPSA Limited for pistol practice and that kind of thing.

Maybe that's the better question - in the end what would make a better 3 gun platform?

If part of "standard procedure" is to replace the guts on any Tanfo then it seems like it comes down to which option is the better barrel fit. Unless I am missing something

IMHO a magwell is more for a better grip than for fast reloading, so I would definitely get one. Or if you get a Limited, it has one on it already (and the correct grips).

To be "3-gun ready" you could just buy a Limited or Limted Pro off the shelf, do some polishing, add an extended firing pin and reduced power hammer spring, and you are good to go. The old sears used to be really soft, so I would have to re-surface mine after 5K or so and that's why I switched to the EGW ignition components. I ran another gun of mine with just the EGW sear and the stock heart hammer, and that combo worked great. These newer sears seem to be much harder though and seem to keep an edge a lot better.

Don't let these crazy Production division guys talk you into buying more parts than you need... ;) ;)