Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle - Going Prone

ARES

Hello,

To engage in an IPSC-rifle match paper-targets in 100 and 200 yards distance - when is it advisable (timewise) to go prone and to shot from a bipod instead of shooting standing unsupported ?

(Edited by ARES at 2:15 am on Sep. 17, 2002)

I am a big believer in shooting from the steadiest position available (ask Scott M!!!!)  That does not necessarily mean prone though, although it often does.

You need to be able to shoot accurately from each position: standing, kneeling, sitting, and prone and then figure out how long it takes YOU to get IN and OUT of each position.   You then need to make a decision for each stage.   I tend to favor stability because once i get stable I can really hose and call shots.  I've found that most shooters (IPSC shooters in particular) are terrible offhand shots with their rifles.   If you want to shoot standing all the time I suggest 3 things:  1) dryfire and dryfire some more 2) get a .22 and practice offhand on difficult steel and 3)  shoot some silhouette, smallbore or highpower.

I think that Jerry Miculek and I are a big contrast in styles  (Wow, comparing myself to Jerry is both scary and unjustified!)  He will often shoot standing to gain speed on the same stage that I will shoot kneeling or prone to gain stability.  I've seen it cut both ways, he has beat me by standing on his feet but I've beat him by going prone.  In fact, I owe the 2001 open rifle to the decision to go prone on a stage where Jerry shot kneeling.  

One more thought, if you are only shooting one or just a few shots from a position offhand may be the way to go but the more shots you fire the better off you are by getting some stability.

Kelly,

Yes, Jerry is a great off-hand shooter....  he has to be.  He has so much trouble going prone, he'll do anything to avoid it.  Trouble with getting old...  he's as stiff as a board.

I'm with you on stability,  if you can lie on your belly, do it.  

Bruce  

With the hit factors that I get at the local 3-gun matches...I usually don't have much to lose by going prone.  

If I'm likely to have a low hit factor, I'll get as stable as possible and go far the points.

(Edited by Flexmoney at 9:32 am on Sep. 18, 2002)

• 3 weeks later...

Quote: from kellyn on 7:10 pm on Sep. 17, 2002

You need to be able to shoot accurately from each position: standing, kneeling, sitting, and prone and then figure out how long it takes YOU to get IN and OUT of each position.  

Kelly, what does your sitting look like?  I know that the sitting taught, e.g., at Gunsite, with which I'm familiar, is a lot different than what the good highpower shooters are using.  I'm curious to know what sort of sitting you use for 3 Gun.  I have the same question about your kneeling.

Do you ever use squatting in 3 Gun?  

Thanks,

Lincoln

There are several styles of sitting: cross legged, cross ankled and open legged.  In highpower, I always shot cross-legged although the USMC team all shot cross-ankled.  Crosslegged sitting is slow to in and out of and I've never used it in an IPSC match.  I've only used sitting very rarely in a three gun match although I've shot a lot of deer from the sit.  The times I have used sitting in 3 gun, it was open legged and with a ching sling.

Kneeling and squatting are more likely to be used in three gunning than sitting.  Neither is as steady as the sit but they're a lot faster to get into and out of.   I use a "standard" kneeling position.  Be sure your leg, arm, wrist and rifle are all straight vertical, providing bone support to your position.   Squatting is a bit more steady than kneeling.

• 2 months later...

Quote: from Million Mom on 5:21 pm on Dec. 17, 2002

Sometimes, it depends upon whether or not you will still be able to engage the target if you go prone. If we are talking about something besides match shooting, going prone has other benefits, besides just stability

We're not