Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Shot Exemption 2 in CA is a reality

lawboy

For my brothers and sisters in CA who are wondering how to get a 2011 frame to have a limited gun or open gun built now that SSE1 is history, SSE2 is the answer.

I just drosed a limited-10 steel frame legally in CA. It involves a bit more $ because you have to have a single shot gun built and that means you pay for the top end, but you can reuse the top end to dros additional frames, or lend it out to friends, etc.

Here is a short video that explains the basics. The key is that the complete SS gun must come from the manufacturer as a single shot. Limited-10 in San Diego builds them but any manufacturer class dealer can do so using the Limited-10 upper.

I pick another custom serial PT next week.

It's a bummer we can't score used blasters or some of the newer factory offerings like the DVC but at this point I think it's worth it to have customs built anyway.

For my brothers and sisters in CA who are wondering how to get a 2011 frame to have a limited gun or open gun built now that SSE1 is history, SSE2 is the answer.

I just drosed a limited-10 steel frame legally in CA.

How did they get the gun onto the approved list? Is this SSE exempt from the list?

That's always been the problem. Makers like STI pulled out of Kali because EVERY single gun model has to be submitted for approval (I believe three units) which are destroyed after testing. You pay the state to perform the testing (I thought it was like $50k?)

And you have to keep paying every year to "renew" the listing on the approved list.

It is so expensive that makers of quality weapons like STI, Wilson etc typically won't waste the money to qualify many (if any) of their models. For a while, STI had no legal guns on the list.

Edited by bountyhunter

Bounty Hunter, single shot pistols have always been EXEMPT from the list. Hence the term single shot exemption. A single shot gun that comes from the manufacturer as such need not be on the list. There are also a number of so called Olympic target pistols that are specifically exempt from the list by name. Single-action revolvers also are exempt. The safe handgun list was meant to target semi-autos.

Edited by lawboy

Thanks for the info, lawboy. Do you need one of their kits if you're building off an 80% frame? I've been contemplating an open gun build but I wasn't clear on the process required to keep it legal.

I just drosed a limited-10 steel frame legally in CA.

How did they get the gun onto the approved list? Is this SSE exempt from the list?

That's always been the problem. Makers like STI pulled out of Kali because EVERY single gun model has to be submitted for approval (I believe three units) which are destroyed after testing. You pay the state to perform the testing (I thought it was like $50k?)

And you have to keep paying every year to "renew" the listing on the approved list.

It is so expensive that makers of quality weapons like STI, Wilson etc typically won't waste the money to qualify many (if any) of their models. For a while, STI had no legal guns on the list.

The cost to stay on the roster is $200/year, I believe.

Sure, its an extortion fee, but a make doesnt have to sell too many guns to cover the fee, assuming that the certified model is still being manufactured...

The 80% build thing is going away. I am not up on the details but legislation was passed last year. I think the high points are it will be limited to break-open, single-shot

Designs, requires prior local LE approval, and the gun must be marked for identification and registered. I do not know the effective date but I think it is 1/1/16.

I think getting guns on the list for the first time is more complex. Remember they must have loaded chamber indicators and other nonsense, and the microstamping is coming.

Edited by lawboy

I just priced out a complete kit. $1059 with decent parts directly through L10. That's $200 more than I can find a raw STI frame in state for. It's a tad spendy the first time, but I can see how having the upper for next frame wouldn't be as painful.

I SSE'd my last frame through a mfg FFL. After using spare parts from old guns, and paying my gunsmith to "build" me a functioning single shot 2011 with the special barrel and mag block, I was $900 in. Really pissed me off!

Hello everyone, unless somethings have changed within the past hour I believe I am the newest vendor here on the benoverse. My name is Eric, and I am one of the owners of L10. I'll try to get some information up on my new vendor forum with some details, but I will be out of town for a couple weeks. In the mean time, if you have questions feel free to email me or PM me.

I just drosed a limited-10 steel frame legally in CA. It involves a bit more $ because you have to have a single shot gun built and that means you pay for the top end, but you can reuse the top end to dros additional frames, or lend it out to friends, etc.

Here is a short video that explains the basics. The key is that the complete SS gun must come from the manufacturer as a single shot. Limited-10 in San Diego builds them but any manufacturer class dealer can do so using the Limited-10 upper.

Hi lawboy, I'm really glad you like the setup! You've pretty much nailed many of the finer points for us. Thank you!

good to hear. does anyone know if there is a fixed price using a set parts list, or if you have options for various frame & trigger components?

We do include some high quality options, but are really flexible.