Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got a 1050 en route, question regarding aftermarket pawl/swage rod

I've read about pawls wearing out and wondering if something like this is a good preemptive part replacement.

Any of you have experience with these parts or this company?

Or is this stuff really intended for commercial/ automated operations? I have zero interest or plans to automate my 1050.

http://fastandfriendlybrass.com/shop/item.aspx/dillon-rl-super-1050-heavy-duty-index-pawl/27/

http://fastandfriendlybrass.com/shop/item.aspx/swage-rod-for-dillon-1050/33/

Thanks.

Well I load just for me, and these are much better built and much stronger. To me its like the difference between a gun and a parachute, If your in real need of one, and dont have it. Most likely you wont need one later.

Use it how they send it for awhile. You will have a lifetime to add a bunch of crap to it, better to learn how they intended it to work first.

You don't want to be that guy that posts a "Dillon sucks" thread then come to find out you have stuff on there they didn't make, that is messing you up.

Use it how they send it for awhile. You will have a lifetime to add a bunch of crap to it, better to learn how they intended it to work first.

You don't want to be that guy that posts a "Dillon sucks" thread then come to find out you have stuff on there they didn't make, that is messing you up.

Yup. I wouldn't worry about it. I'd just keep an eye on it if you're worried about it. I've never had one go down and I never checked that part on any of my 1050's.

I get 20-25k rounds out of the factory swage rods. you might think on buying one of the after market ones at some point.

I keep a bunch of the index pawls around, they are $2 a piece. Ive had some go 10s of thousands of rounds. Ive also blown one in like 100 rounds when I had a stoppage due to a primer sucking back and going sideways and the machine locked up and the pawl acts as a fusible link and blows out of the machine. Thats on an auto drive machine. I can appreciate having a nicer index pawl, but if its so much stronger I lose the "fusible link" factor, I hate to see what else would have broken(index arm thats 90 bucks, index dog or roller tearing off the machine-dont know cost, shell plate damage-75 bucks). Ill blow $2 on index pawls before possibly breaking other more expensive parts. Buy a few extra and a few springs. If a machine is acting up in the indexing department, thats the first thing I change.

I have been loading on the 1050 for a few years now, I haven't broken either of those parts.

I have seen a bit of chatter on line about it, my swage rod doesn't get much of a workout.
I don't load military brass ect. So pretty much all it does is go up and down...

If you're worried buy those parts as spares.

I have a 1050 that is now third hand, by our best estimate it has loaded just over 500K between me and the two previous owners, mostly by them. Factory Pawl.

In MO I have a 1050 that loads about 40K a year in a 3 - 4 week period in May and I am at least the fourth owner, it had issues with the priming system when I got it and the casefeed plunger, all replaced and now going strong. Again factory Pawl.

Can't see the need right now, but if I break it, I may be tempted to try the new style.

I have had a RL model since the nineties? I bought it when they were $850.00 and only now am I buying the up graded pawl from Ebay. In matter of fact I bought last night. The pawl on the machine is dented where it contact the shellplate. So I bought one.

The other upgrade I did buy and the one that I felt made a big difference, was replacing the steel ball under the shellplate with the plastic one from Ebay. That one ball made a noticeable difference.

I have also replaced the turret spring with the one sold on Ebay and that did improved the operating of the machine but nothing like that little ball!

So just use the machine, learn how it works and I think getting extra plastic tips for the primer tubes maybe a spare slide bar for the primers are a better idea. I have had the hole in the slide bar get out of shape.

FWIW