Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I took my second class (Handgun 2) with Keith Tyler two days ago (Sunday) - it was great - so was the first.

Keith started teaching again. He has been praised in several posts on this forum for his shooting and teaching ability (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23836&hl=keith+tyler#entry430305)

His prices are very reasonable and his ability to pass on his knowledge is impressive.

If you are in the Portland, OR metro area and you're looking for some solid training contact Keith Tyler - his websites is: http://tylerfirearmsinstruction.net/

Edited by US1

• 2 weeks later...

I took my first class with Keith this past Sunday (June 14th). I have taken many classes from several 'big name' instructors over the past three years and I will say Keith is easily one of the best instructors out there. What sets Keith apart is that he's a great shooter (GM in Open) AND a great teacher; that's not always an easy combination to find. It's unfortunate that a lot of shooters believe that the national champions are the only ones 'worthy' of teaching us new skills. I fell into that trap last year and spent a weekend (and several hundred dollars) taking a class from a USPSA national champion that was one of the worst class experiences I have ever had.

It's obvious how much passion Keith has for the sport. He is honest in both his praise and criticism ("Everyone's a rock star shooting from 5 yards"). He has a great eye for seeing what needs to be worked on and he has clearly spent a lot of time studying shooting techniques as well as learning theory. He gives EVERY student individual attention and doesn't 'showboat' his own skills in class like a lot of other instructors do.

I would encourage anyone who is interested in learning some valuable match skills to take one (or more) of Keith's classes. As one of the top shooters in the Northwest region, Keith has a lot of great knowledge to share and he's a naturally gifted instructor.

I have read a few books, watch many videos and have been practicing at home regularly. My marksmanship has not seen big improvements even though my classification has improved. I decided to take Tyler's Handgun 1 course. I wasn't so sure I would get that much out of it. Boy, was I wrong!

Keith had core skills he presented to the class and then had us apply them on the line. During presentations he presented things in a very simple way and made sure each of us understood the concepts. He also insured each of us could apply them successfully. At the firing line I was constantly getting feedback during drills I wasn't getting trying to learn other ways. I saw improvement in my marksmanship at the course and walked away with knowledge and tools to continue the improvement at home. I will definitely be taking the other courses in the series.

Over the last month, I took 2 classes with Keith Tyler . Both were incredible. Here's what I liked about it:

- Personal attention - He spends a great amount of time with each person, analyzing how you do things and how and where you can improve it.

- He breaks things down in small components, so that you can fix or self-assess what component is not working well even after the class. CRITICAL TO PRACTICE PERFECT!!

- He conceptually and technically knows how things work and how they can be optimized, but more importantly, he helps adapt it to your physical stature, strength, shooting level etc.

- Keith has a keen ability to assess what's going wrong and give you alternatives right on the spot. Once he helps you figure things out, he helps burn the right image in your head, by demonstrating it, observing and even videoing it so you can see his point. ( he used the shooter’s camera phone to make sure he could see what he was talking about.

- His message is simple and consistent - easy to digest, solid in foundational & technical structure and more importantly, you get the why of it.

His teachings on grip and trigger handling / strength alone was worth the price of the class. (independent of how many books you have read it, heard it or seen it from all other major trainers across the world).

The individual attention and customized instructions allows his classes to add value to beginner or advanced class shooters alike,

I will take more classes from Keith.

I would echo what others have already said. I took handgun 1 last month and plan to pick up 2 and 3 in the next round. Excellent return on investment, and we are fortunate he has started training classes again. My only complaint is that matches in our area will become even more competitive than they already are.

CZinUSPSA:

I know you won't mention the instructor's name but I'm very interested to know what made the class ".... one of the worst experiences I've ever had ". Sounds like you were very unhappy so please share why the class didn't met your expectations ...

I was in Keith's H1 class, and it was incredibly valuable. I've taken classes from a number of top name instructors, and only Steve Anderson gave me the level of detailed, personalized training that Keith Tyler did. I've been at the top edge of B class in Production for a year, and Keith helped me understand what's been holding me back. I now have a short list of things to work on--all actually quite simple, but that I would not have figured out on my own.

For the cost of ammo from three practice sessions, Keith Tyler's classes are a serious deal.

CZinUSPSA:

I know you won't mention the instructor's name but I'm very interested to know what made the class ".... one of the worst experiences I've ever had ". Sounds like you were very unhappy so please share why the class didn't met your expectations ...

I just sent you a private message with some of the reasons I was unhappy with that particular class. NOTE: This is in reference to another instructor, NOT Keith Tyler's class!

Wow! Thanks for all the praise, I really am flattered. I have enjoyed researching, testing and putting together these current training classes. The pay off is hearing your comments and watching my students match performance just take off. Keep up the hard work. As long as students are interested in classes, I will keep holding them.

Keith

I agree with everything my fellow classmates said above. Like the others, I have had classes from a lot of the big names in USPSA and the bearded operators over the years. I haven't seen any other instructor put in the effort that Keith has to create, maintain and improve a program of instruction. His Level 1 class was the best quality instruction I have ever had. I have signed up for his Level 2 in July and I'll take his Level 3 in August.

If you want to improve your shooting and come away with a system to continue progressing, then Keith should be your first choice.

• 1 month later...