Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylor Freelance barrel shroud for 3 gun

I'm needing to set up a second pistol for 3 gun and I have a G17 that currently has no purpose. I'm thinking of starting to slowly build it up for 3 gun and one thing that I like about my current pistol is it has a longer sight radius. Would a Taylor Freelance barrel shroud not be legal under any of the larger 3 gun match rule sets? I shoot limited and don't plan on any other division anytime soon. As far as why, to set it up with sights, trigger, barrel, and shroud I'd have about $140 more in the pistol than the price of a stock G34. Also I think it looks cool and why not unless I can't shoot it and remain in limited division.

For now it can be narrowed down to this rule from RM3G, (bold added by me)-

6. Limited Classes

a. Firearms must be of factory configuration.

b. Pistols with custom or factory installed electronic sights, optical sights, extended sights, compensators or barrel porting are NOT allowed in this class. Pistol magazines shall not exceed 170mm overall length for single stacks, and shall not exceed 140mm OAL for staggered magazines.

Does it violate factory configuration or count as an extended sight?

Edited by TyinTX

You're overthinking it. your good to go as for RM3G

EDIT: You know its never came up before, So will have to wait for Denise to answer, but there is a reason why people don't run shrouds and its not because they might be against the rules either though.

Edited by DocMedic

I figure I might be over thinking it but I don't want to get all excited and get one then have a fancy paperweight. I'm just thinking of it for sight radius and being several small purchases that I can shoot in between upgrades instead of saving for one big one. Besides sights not staying lined up and cycling issues from added barrel weight what else might I run into that I'm not thinking of?

Option b is shoot the gun as is, upgrade the trigger, then buy a 34 slide or complete gun when I find a deal and swap the slides. A better option I'm sure but means I have to fight the urge to be my own special snowflake.

Edited by TyinTX

From what I remember from past discussion ( I'm pretty sure its in the search somewhere here) but when you basically add a none ported comp to the end of a barrel on a pistol it creates a longer lever arm, where the energy for the slide going forward is transferred into the comp/shroud when the slide comes to rest, (newtons law?) causing front sight dip. On my Open gun I do see it happen slightly but the ports on the side of the comp more or less reduce muzzle dip.

Edited by DocMedic

I was going to build a 2011 with a blank compensator, so the same principal. I was told it would not be legal under FNH rules. It would be considered an extended sight. Which that is the goal with this apparatus . So I built a sight tracker instead. I would contact 3gn to be sure.

I'm kinda over the idea. Would be fun to mess with but just gonna make the G17 be best it can with sights, trigger, and some basepads. If I want more after that it'll be a new gun entirely.