Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xtreme 147 9mm - Can't get the OAL

SWHlctx

This is no doubt a newbie question.

I got 500 new Xtreme 147 RN bullets as part of a trade deal. All I have run for the last few months is Bayou and Blue Bullets. This is my first venture with copper plated. I just finished running a couple thousand Bayou 147 bullets with no problems.

My Bayou load was 147g, 3.2g Titegroup, FSP, mixed brass and an OAL of 1.14. I was switching to the Xtremes just to give them a try, but can't get the OAL below 1.16. When I try depress the ram handle (or push it down) it will only go so far which results in the 1.16 and it isn't far enough down to seat a primer. But it feels like the ram is maxed out.

I'm using a Dillon 550. I don't want to force the ram and screw something up.

So am I doing something wrong?

Adjusting the seating die was the first thing I did when I was setting up for the Xtreme run. Used a Winchester factory round as a guide and everything was fine.

Yes, on 550 the primer seats on the up stroke, but couldn't get through enough of the stroke to get to the "seat the primer" part thus no primer in the casing.

It is like it won't push down into the case. The Xtreme is almost exactly the same size as the Bayou. I checked the bell and the Xtreme seats like it is supposed to. The ram works fine without the bullet in the press.

Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Edited by SWHlctx

1. Adjusting the seating die was the first thing I did

2. The Xtreme bullet is almost exactly the same size as the Bayou.

1. My understanding (at least in my SDB), is if I adjust the seating die, the OAL is where I want it to be??

2. Almost exactly is actually "different". You will have to run the Plunk Test again with the new bullet. :cheers:

Got it. Newbie mistake. I just needed to adjust the bell a little more. Must be the bullet shape. I measured the Bayou bullet sitting in the case after belling and it was 1.263. The Xtreme bullet sitting in the case was 1.283. Opened up the bell a little more and all is good. Running at OAL 1.14.

This is good advice:

We recommend you flare the case mouth to at least .010" larger than a sized, unflared case mouth measures, and no larger than .020" larger. This ensures both that cases don't get damaged when seating a bullet, as well as ensuring the powder bar goes the full travel, giving a consistant powder charge.

Got it. Newbie mistake. I just needed to adjust the bell a little more. Must be the bullet shape. I measured the Bayou bullet sitting in the case after belling and it was 1.263. The Xtreme bullet sitting in the case was 1.283. Opened up the bell a little more and all is good. Running at OAL 1.14.

While Xtremes can generally be loaded longer than many others, it's always best to check your Max OAL for a given bullet in your barrel.

Here's how: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.msg189131#msg189131