Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gently placing mags

johnsons1480

I had a pretty good match today. Glad I could shake off this first stage. This was an odd stage, all mags needed for the stage had to be on the start barrel. I was going a little slow, but doing alright until I got to the steel. The plan was to bring two mags to the 3 poppers and the Texas Star at the end of the stage. I put one in the gun as a reload, and I was supposed to set the other one on the barrel. If you notice about the 25 second mark, I just throw the magazine at the barrel and somehow expected it to stay put. I saw it skid off the barrel, and proceeded to knock down the 3 poppers and all but one plate on the star. I was hoping I cold reach for it, but it was way down there. Had to laugh about it after the fact!

https://youtu.be/Ebkpj1Vrgnc

Edited by johnsons1480

Those blue barrels are almost like teflon, stuff slides around on the tops like an ice rink.

Sometimes I use a little strip of skate tape on the gun's magwell where it touches when laid down to prevent the gun from sliding when doing a start from the top of one. Had an experience where I went to snatch a loaded gun from the top of a barrel and I bumped the barrel and the gun slide forward into the barrel's rim...didn't drop it or break the 180, but it made me very aware of how slick those barrels are.

• 2 weeks later...

I was shooting and ICORE match once and we had an array of steel behind 3 barrels. I ejected my first moonclip onto one of the barrels trying to make my picking up easier. As it hit the barrel and I cleared the plate rack I had just enough time to see the moonclip roll right into the hole on the top and down into the abyss of trash and nasty rain water that had collected inside of it.