Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 9mm top end cost?

3djedi

I have an sti apeiro in 40 right now for limited and I'm curious what it might cost for 9mm top end complete setup. Doesn't need to be a sight track just a plain jane slide will do.

What would you estimate it to be?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Slide with sight cuts and serrations - $300

Barrel - $200

Sights - $100

Extractor - $30

FP Stop - $15

FP - $15

Springs

Barrel link.

So figure close to $700 and up.

A top end built up by a gunsmith anf finished usually ends up costing close to what a gun would if you just bought a good used one.

I had one built because in my state it was illegal to buy a gun but legal to have a top end built to go onto a receiver I already owned... and I think it cost about 80% of the price of the NEW gun I wanted.

I agree. I had 2 known builders quote me top ends. I'm now ordering a complete custom gun. Not worth the cost for just the top end.

Keep an eye out in the classifieds as they pop up here and there for a decent price.

If it were me, I'd forget about the 9mm top end and load 40 to Minor. You'll find is is quieter than 9mm, more accurate and softer feeling. I load to 140PF and 172PF. I absolutely do not regret selling off all my 9mm stuff.

I also tried the one frame two uppers approach and decided I like two complete guns better.

Edited by zzt

No, I run a 14lb spring for both loads and have no problems. I do the same in my 1911s for 45. A 14lb spring takes care of everything I shoot, from 140 to 175PF. I shoot 180s for 40 and 200s for 45.

i think you need to test your gun as all are different. I have a 6" 40 that runs both major and minor with a 14# spring with no issues. my SVI is more particular. You will know when you run the different loads in your gun.

I don't know where quack gets his parts from, or who his gunsmith is, but $300 for a lightened fitted slide??? Maybe Bomar & front dovetail, but I don't know a gunsmith that's gonna cut serrations/slots or fit a slide to the frame, or barrel for under $250 after buying a slide.

I love .40 minor, but it's more expensive than 9. Not cheaper than reloading vs replacing a top end and loading a new caliber though. Cheers