Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aiming at Swingers

Smitty79

I don't have a swinger to practice with, so I dry fire at the Predator Tactical swinger on my computer. Today's session got me thinking about where I should aim on the swinger.

On stationary, reasonably open, targets, I aim at the center of the available lower A zone.

On a swinger, the angular velocity is the same along the entire target. This means that the farther from the pivot point, the faster the target area is moving. The top of the upper A zone is moving about 1.5 times as fast as the bottom. So the lower part of the lower A is closer to stationary.

I'm thinking that shooting at the center of the lower half of the lower A zone will probably yield the best scores? Has anyone looked hard at this or experimented with it?

Your theory on angular velocity is correct IF the target is mounted in a vertical position when the target is at rest. What if the target is stapled 90 degrees so it is vertical when it is at it's furthest most swing?

Your theory on angular velocity is correct IF the target is mounted in a vertical position when the target is at rest. What if the target is stapled 90 degrees so it is vertical when it is at it's furthest most swing?

In this case, the radius is, effectively, all the same for the lower A zone. I'd shoot this aiming at the middle of the lower A.

Dont try to freeze the target but move with it like shotgunners & clay pigeons or IF it is visible when it changes direction shoot it as it is changing directions when it is nearest to being stopped.

while your math is correct I think you'll find that any advantage you gain by shooting at a relatively slower portion of the target will be lost becuase you are now going to take more time trying to aim more precisly at a smaller target area ...

just track the swinger by aiming for the center of the lower A zone (no ambushing) and focus your energy on staying hard on the front sight and make 2 good aimed shots

swingers really aren't all that difficult to master ... unless you encounter them at the Fl Open where they are 30 yds down range and surrounded by no-shoots ... :)

Edited by Nimitz

I like where your logic is but I personally think that maybe overthinking it a bit. Lower A zone, get two good quick shots off and keep it moving. As always make sure you call two good ones. just ones man's opinion.

Edited by OUshooter

The way I learned it is thru livefire practice and experimentations. I compare what I saw at the instant the shot is fired to the hit on the target.

Eta. After these process I can practice it dry using those inputs from livefire. I think it will be difficult to do it the other way around and expect positive results.

Edited by BoyGlock

For truly fast swingers, or ones that are partially obscured, I find the ambush technique to be the most reliable way of getting hits......

If the movement is slow, and totally unobscured, then following the swinger can work.....

The trick is learning to call your shots -- not just on moving brown, but on an actual scoring zone....