Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dave Sevigny and his shooting style

Pierruiggi

I have a picture of Dave S. shooting from above. I only wish I had the computer literacy to post it. Anyway, he bends the left arm slightly more than the right. Talking to him, this is indeed becaue of his cross dominancy, to bring the gun in line in with his left eye.

Man, talk about resurrecting old threads!

I think you mean 1 miss! I got a few charlies. That damn long-distance target off the draw got me -- too hyped up and shot before I could calm myself down to keep from flinching and milking.

Besides, you shouldn't compare me to Dave, I have much more potential than him! :D (My fiancee asked if you were at the range that day and wanted to know if you commented on my "potential" again. ;))

If you weren't aware, I am also cross dominant. I think it's barely strong enough that I don't see 2 targets and get super distracted, so I'm comfortable shifting the gun over and using two eyes. I thought about shooting left-handed because I'm fairly ambidexterous, but I guess I won't bother if Dave can do it righty just fine!

To everyone else: no need to turn this into an eye dominance post; I've looked into this and worked on this a lot (I believe everyone has to choose the strategy that works best for them) and I'm good to go now.

umm. all of this and nobody here has emailed dave to ask him, he is a really nice guy and will offer his exact imput.

From what I know of daves inception into shooting sports he learned from everyone he could DR being one of them, and that would surely have influenced his style some, I have used the nearly locked elbows since i learned it from Ernest Langdon in a class circa 2002? Bob Vogel mimiced his from sevigny strait out. I think we all look at what's available and adapt to what is best for us.

There is no one absolute, as all of our bodies are different.

umm. all of this and nobody here has emailed dave to ask him, he is a really nice guy and will offer his exact imput.

On that note, I emailed Dave S. last week to pick his mind a little bit. Asked him what he thought made him a champion shooter....

He replied:

"My bio probably sums it up best... http://www.sevignyperformance.com/bio.htm

Thanks,

Dave"

Gave me a good laugh... :D

• 3 weeks later...