Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I hope I did ok with VVN310 and 147gr

Rikarin

Hello

I am utter newbie, did reloading stuff first time today. My friend showed me how to do and he does hunting, not competing.

I did search before on this forum and read up alot and came to the conlusion VVN310 and FMJ147 is way to go for my G19.

I can not find the recipe again but what I made is

Star 147gr FMJ, 3.3g or VVN310 and OAL 1.165....Primer is WSP

But then, I did more read up and someone mentioned some pressure problem or something which might be not safe. I have no idea. What is this? What I should be paying atention when I shoot? (other than squib?)

I will get hold of chronograph hopefully and do the PF stuff for IDPA/IPSC later but for now, does this sound ok? I think I did safer side (recipe said 2.7gr.-3.3gr) and longer OAL thinking I can shorten it later.

Thank you

(boy I didn't know reloading is hard job... I think I can skip arm work out for couple of days....)

Guest Larry Cazes

Rika, how does this load compare to VVs published load data for N310 and a 147gr bullet? Always compare an unknown load to the manufacturers data to see if it is within the prescribed range before loading and shooting it. Also, whenever starting out with any new load, start loading at 5% to 10% below the published maximum and then shoot them over a chronograph and work the load up until you reach the desired velocity. As you increase the load in .1 to .2 grain increments look for signs of pressure. If you are unsure of what to look for, please stop what you are doing and either get an experienced reloader to help you or get a few good load books from the powder manufacturers and do some research until you understand thoroughly. I have a speer loading manual that has an excellent section on how to reload and do load development. If you are planning on attending the TASC match this saturday, I will be there and can lend it to you to read and hopefully I can answer any questions that you may have about the process. Sounds to me like you should do some more research before firing these loads. Be safe.......

Larry C

Rika,

in VV reloading manual 2004 there is no published data for 147s and N310.

This is because they (I guess) consider too near to overpressure to load heavy 9mm bullets with such a fast powder.

I'm not advocating that it can't be done, only that it might be dangerous.

I know forum member Carlos has experimented extensively with fast powders (among which N310, IIRC) and 9 mm bullets: you might want to get in contact with him before shooting those loads.

Another consideration: if the recipe you got was 2.7-3.3 grs of N310 loaded longer than what you did, you're NOT on the safe side, but quite the opposite way.

The advice Larry gave you, not to shoot those reloads until you can get counsel and proper directions from a more experienced reloader is a good one.

Always compare with loading manuals (if possible), start a good 10% less than maximum listed load and CAREFULLY work up your loads from that starting point verifying: general fired brass appearance (no bulges, primer flattening, or worse, flow, etc.) and chronoed velocity and PF of a good sample of rounds.

I used 310 and a zero 147. I got low 130's pf from my 34 with a bar-sto at 3.1 grs I was using a magnum primer also. My primers were always a little flattened, which is a sign there is too much pressure. After I finished up the batch of 310 I was using I went to 320, which feels almost identical and is a lot safer. I never get the pressure signs that I did when I shot 310.

I never had any pressure problems w/ 310 just pressure signs. I never shot the 310 load in a stock barrel, supposedly the bar-sto has more case support. Usually I used my 9mm 1911 which has a lot more support.

With 3.3 grs of 320, I don't get pressure signs. I consider it 99% as good of a feel, honestly I can't tell a difference when I'm shooting for speed.

320 I feel safe loading my wife's ammo; 310 I never loaded in her ammo.

OH my god. I am glad I asked. I knew its not on any manuals and my friend was really nervous, for his defence. I am pretty gung ho and stubborn :)

1) if there's bluges whats going on and whats worng?

2) if primer flattening whats wrong, again?

3) what is the flow and whats wrong?

4) when I change OAL , what changes other than just the length?

5) if limitted 40 shoot this with G34 with 123-130pf, what would be with G19? more pf or less?

6) and most importantly, what's the worst case scenario? blowing the gun off along with me? I heard couple of people blew the upper off due to squib. Is it like that?

I had a 5000rounds of Wolf ammo for my Sig .40 and once in like 300rounds, the case bluged up, cracked and shut off the gun completely. I needed to push the case out putting the long bar from the muzzle. Is this pressure problem? (I am not shooting those ammos anymore)

High TEchRedneck you said, "I never shot the 310 load in a stock barrel, supposedly the bar-sto has more case support" Hmm, mine is Glock19 with stock barrel. what is bar-sto and whats good about it?

Cameron my other 147gr (UMC and Atlanta Arms) getting stuck at teh ramp of the barrel, even after I changed the plastic piece of the mag which pushes the ammos to what stamped 9mm from 2183-1. So, figured longer the better. If I don't shorten them, what would be the problem? Just feeding?

limitted40 maybe this is your recipe. Thank you. Glad you have been firing ok... albit in G34.

skywalker Thanks for pointing out I did load UNSAFE side. Dah. So, I will check the fired brass.!

Larry I go IPSC pradtice (SAT) and IDPA classifier (SUN) both at Richmond this weekend...

Again, thank you so much.

:D

Skywalker, you are correct my friend. Generally good advice here. Couple of things to emphasize:

-it's not a book load so use at your own risk

-probably not a good combo for the beginner, particularly if you are not familiar with the dangers of set-back and how to avoid it. 147s are the way to go & can be loaded w/ book loads of N330 or Titegroup from Hodgdon. Both work OK.

-320 is nearly as good and the internal ballistics calculator "QuickLoad" predicts that a minor 320/147 load w/ OAL over 1.145 is closer to the industry "safe" standard pressure for 9x19mm. Book loads for 147s begin with N330 powder.

-the OAL is likely too long for a G19 mag. About 1.160 max on those. I prefer 1.155" for Glock

-I have only gone as high as 3.2 grns though with the variation in Dillon powder measures, there could have been some with 3.3 in the mix.

-Use decent once fired brass. I have had a single case blow out with a 9mm cases that I loaded about 10 times before using it for the N310 load/147. Gun was a G17. Broke the mag catch. Gun & hands OK though it stung for a while.

-If I were you, I would switch to N330 for 6 months; buy a Lee brand "U" or undersize die and Lee FCD, always use OneShot, and when you have experience under your belt, return to N310 w/ 3.1 grns (if needed for Minor in G19, use 3.2).

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

Agreed. As stated above, "-probably not a good combo for the beginner, particularly if you are not familiar with the dangers of set-back and how to avoid it. 147s are the way to go & can be loaded w/ book loads of N330 or Titegroup from Hodgdon. Both work OK."

My load is 3.3 gr of N-310 with a Zero 147 FMJ OAL 1.155. I've fired approx 10K no problems. I started shooting them in a 19 and now my 17. I love this load.

I got this load from an IPSC GM when I first started reloading.

SGT

Glock mags do not like any 9mm longer than 1.155

That's funny, Winchester value pack 9mm measures 1.170" :D

Anyway back on topic, your load sounds ok to me; it's about what I use. As others have said though, it's not necessarily the right setup for a beginner. Spend some time loading recipes that are actually in books before venturing into IPSC-only reloading voodoo. Much as I don't like it, with 147's Titegroup produces similar results to N310 and is listed in a few manuals (Speer 13 comes to mind).

Thanks Monster and sigtis108.

I kinda understand now its really tweaked up recipe. I bought 2lb of N310. For rest of the bottle, I load bit less powder. if I can return one bottle, I will try with N320. Since I have to rely on my friend's reloader, I can not try many different recipes.

I went for VV reading Titgroup is "snappy". After I switched from subsonicc UMC 147gr to Atlanta Arms pussycat load, I got TWICE as better. That means, 50% ranking instead of 25% or so. Especially in courses with arms reach length targets.

And I will be sure to check those pressure signs you guys mentioned. :)

The load looks good to me also, except the OAL.  I think you may have to go down to 1.150 or 1.155 for the bullets to work properly in Glock mags.  I currently load 3.4 at 1.150.

Range Report

Whoa. It was like .22. and somehow accurate. I can shoot this load all day long, except that I couldn't even load more than 4-6rounds because bullets were too long!

Buhahahha.

Verocity was 780 and I was told bit too low. So I will shorten them to 1.150-1.155 (will compare with other bullets which works/not works) and will chrono again.

not to drift off topic or anything, but winchester 9mm 115 grian FMJs measure over 1.150 inches and work great.

I load berrys 147 RN to 1.16 inches with all kinds of fast powders.

right now i think they are loaded with 231 or bullseye...either of which i have large amounts on hand.