Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sellier & Bellot (S&B) .223

Gun Geek

Geek ... if you're looking for .223 bargains, you should frequent AR15.com in the ammunition forum. Those guys are up to speed on prices and availablity of just about everything.

Rhino is spot on!

There's a thread where their membership has weighed in on first hand experience with a wide range of brands (Q3131a to silverbear). They mostly comment on reliability, not accuracy. Win White box sits a top that list as a favorite (generic white box). I've liked the 40 rnd boxes from wally world. I pick up one or two everytime I'm there, and the wifes never the wiser. :wub: PMC is also highly rated, and until recently there was a pretty good deal listed there (Natchess?) but it's not there now. Ammo Experience

There's another thread that details current pricing, but on just a few brands. If price is important, the radway green from britain looks pretty good. I may buy a bit and give it a try. Generally radway runs a touch weaker (something about the brit's firearms) but the stuff from ammoman is reported to be an older batch that is hotter (so the brits didn't want to use it?). That's all hearsay, so take it with a grain of salt. Ammo prices

In my hands, the winchester white groups about the same as PMC, maybe a touch better (10 round groups at 100yds). My groups are 2-2.5 inches, so you know I'm not a real marksman (from a bench, but with out bags and such). Next time I see a deal on white box or PMC I'll likely go ahead and get a case or two. My wolf is what I'll use for shooting courses I set up for practice. (truly blasting ammo) and I'm not sure I'll bother buying more of it. Groups were ~4 inches same day I checked the others! (that was old wolf (lacquer) and new (polymer)).

YRMV (Your rifle may very)

Don't you guys worry about steel in Sellier Bellot ammo. It's only soft iron
That is no help when the match director says the ammo is not legal for competition because it sticks to a magnet!!! Soft or not, steel/iron is not allowed at most if not all multi-gun matches. Brinnel rating has no bearing on match usage legality.

--

Regards,

Well,

Here's the result of my very narrow exploration.

Remember that I had about 1 week to acquire this ammo - I have a carbine class this saturday and sunday. That pretty much ruled out ordering - just too risky for me.

I hit the local gunshops and WalMart. I purchased small amounts of 3131, 40rd Winchester valupacks, S&B and Wolf and tried them. Everything else was too $$. All the above seemed to run fine out of my rifle. Out to 50 yards POI didn't move more than 1" brand to brand.

Since I didn't like Wolf, and S&B has the steel problems (which is not really a problem in my class), I decided on the Winchester valupak. Around here it is about $7.25 ($3.63 for 20, $181.25 for 1000).

Problem then came in getting the required 1500 rounds. Walmart puts on the counter shelves 3 or 4 boxes. I need 37. After talking to one of the clerks I found out that they are under orders not to sell anymore than is on the shelf to a single person. Even if they go out and come back in. I'll leave that discussion for another thread! So, I was looking at 10 - 15 trips in one week - PIA. Well, I got 4 boxes and figured I would go to the second stand-by S&B.

Went to Centerfire Systems, they only had 500 rds left, and won't get any until Monday or Tuesday. At this point I had about 750 rounds of ammo that I trusted. So, I got a case (for $89 if you haul it out the door) of the polymer Wolf. The guys on the AR15 site seem to like it, so I figured what the heck.

I now have the FrankenSupply of ammo for my class. The difference in manufacturer may be more of an issue than anything else. I figured I would use the Wolf for most of the close up blasting unless it erps. I will use the Winchester and S&B for the longer range stuff. Besides, you usually shoot slower when doing longer range work and don't spread the brass too much. This will be easier to pickup. The on the hose stuff, which usually spreads the cases around, I'll use wolf and leave it on the ground (until clean-up time)

Sound like I might be a little late here but ammoman.com sells Lake City XM193 for $ 219 / K shipped. I've found in both of my 223 rifles that it is very reliable and plenty accurate for anything inside of 100 yds.

The thing I really like is the brass is just about the best you can get for reloading so I tend to pick it all up when I'm done. :D

Geek, people living under bridges have a better supply of ammo than you do. :P

Kinda sad isn't it.

We should pass the hat in benevolence and get you some ammo. :)

This isn't really a money problem, but a time problem. In project management parlance, a time constraint was imposed which has created a risk impacting quality.

Next week the 650 will get cranked up and be spitting out 223, maybe 9mm, and then 45 ACP and maybe a little 308. Components on order.

You can still pass the hat. I'm not too proud to take handouts :P

BTW:

Tested the S&B- sticks to a magnet.