Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnum Primers

BadShot

Hey Everyone,

As I getting ready to load some .38 special loads, I found out that the last box of primers that I bought were magnum small pistol primers. I have no clue to where the receipt would be, so I am stuck with them. Can use these for .38 special and .40 S&W loads? Neither load will be hot loads...

Thanks

Hey Everyone,

As I getting ready to load some .38 special loads,  I found out that the last box of primers that I bought were magnum small pistol primers.  I have no clue to where the receipt would be, so I am stuck with them.  Can use these for .38 special and .40 S&W loads?  Neither load will be hot loads...

Thanks

I'm not a profesional but, I've used Fed regular and Fed magnum small pistol

with Titegroup in a bunch of different configurations, the Mag primers always

seem to give a little bit better/higher power factor, but sometimes gave worse

groups ??

These where all loads in the 110 - 130 PF range using 38 spcl cases and 125 grn

Montana Gold bullets.

Good luck.

I use FSPM in all my important match loads. I prefer the hotter spark, and in my guns have never noticed a difference in accuracy. On my 9mm loads I go about .1 gr less than an equivalent FSP load. Or I use the same load between FSPM and WSR.

I'm using VV320

I loaded 2000 WSPM (magnum primers) a while back in .40, and the performance was between WSP and WSR with about a 10 fps gain over WSP. The SD and ES were single digits in 3 different guns, and the accuracy was the same. You should be able to use the load you had planned, as long as you were not near the high hot end of the manual to begin with. I use VV N320 too, and was able to reduce powder charges by .1 gr. as well.