Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sights question

Husker95

I am now starting to practice enough that I am becoming dissatisfied with my sights. I have a full-size SA loaded 45 with a fixed blade front and novak rear. Now that I am practicing more, it seems like I lose sight definition against certain color target backgrounds and in low-light conditions. I am considering sending it to SA's custom shop to get new sights on it, but I am getting lost in the gazillion different options they have. I would like to compete in L10 in the near future and I also belong to a club where I would have a chance to do bowling pin matches. I am not interested in a scope at this point. Can you guys make some recommendations about what you like? If it matters, my eye protection is amber colored. Thanks.

What kind of front sight do you have? Is it ramped (at an angle to you), is it serrated? I don't know what kind of vision you have, but a fiber optic front sight might help you out. They are usually dovetailed into the slide.

If your front sight already is a dovetail type, rather than staked in, then you should be able to replace it with anytype of dovetail sight without sending it back to Springfield.

The Novak rear has some angles that catch the light and make me shoot slower and less accurate. A Heinie rear has no such trouble. You can install one yourself in a Novak Lo-Mount dovetail cut without the help of a custom shop or gunsmith.

My front site is a ramp, angled back towards me. It is not dovetailed in, but is permanent (is that staked??). I know I could handle installing a rear sight, but what combinations do you guys like? If you go with an FO front, what type rear to you put in? For a garden variety guy like myself (not a serious competitor like you guys) what colors/diameters of FO do you recommend? Thanks a million guys!!!

Husker

Husker, those are some really good questions. I was just looking at a Colt Special Combat model today that has a Bomar rear sight and a plain black front sight. I am thinking about buying that pistol and possibly putting a fiber optic front sight on it. But,I wasn't sure how a fiber optic front sight would line up with a square notched rear sight either. Take Care.