Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 went down hard

The press went down hard tonight. The two large bolts that holds the lifting? arms on must be fouled with debris. The press got very tight and will not cycle. This happened once before the first time i used it. I lubed it up and it ran for 100 rounds but it is down hard now. I am pretty sure if i can get the two cross bolts out and clean/lube them I will be good. How can I get them out?

bded7ca413ce7dcd320d10b6d622e047.jpg

This is as far as they will come.

Edited by b1gcountry

post-53185-142959408566_thumb.jpg

This is not my pic, but this is the grease fitting they are talking about. Both of my presses have them.

I use mobile 28 for everything gun related. It is the same grease Gisselle recommends for their triggers. You can buy one tube for about $20 and it will last for many many years.

Other than that almost any grease is better than running it dry.

post-53185-142959407258_thumb.jpg

You should have found the set screw in the bottom of the ram? It holds the bottom pin centered. The spiral cuts are to distribute the grease along the pins. If you machine is older without grease fittings(zerks)you can use an air tool greaser to shoot grease into the small holes in the frame.

I think the upgraded pins with grease fittings are about $60, well worth it...

upgraded or not, those pins must be greased regularly to prevent galling, which is what you have experienced. Without greasing it can cause damage that can cost much more in parts replacement...

jj

You should have found the set screw in the bottom of the ram? It holds the bottom pin centered. The spiral cuts are to distribute the grease along the pins. If you machine is older without grease fittings(zerks)you can use an air tool greaser to shoot grease into the small holes in the frame.

Or a chain saw greaser.