Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Detailed Disassembly of STI Open Gun

nhglyn

Can someone please point me toward a website that shows more than the "basic" disassembly of my STI 2011 Open gun. I need to learn how to take apart and clean the sear/trigger/grip safety etc. etc. areas and the manual does not cover this. Pictures would be great too! Many thanks.

Check this link for a diagram

http://www.45gunparts.com/parts_diagram.html

This will show you where all the parts go on a 1911. What you're wanting to do is the same on a 1911 as a 2011.

But, if you want to clean the trigger channel it's a little more difficult since the grips on a 2011 need to be removed from the frame. Not really difficult but different than what the diagram shows. Only 3 screws keep the 2011s grip on the frame -- the two top ones and a small screw at the front of the trigger guard. Don't bother removing the lower screws on the grip frame since they're only cosmetic. You don't really need to buy a book to fgure out how to dismatle the gun.

The steps are:

1. Remove the slide

2. Jiggle out the single or ambi thumb safety

3. Remove the pin holding the mainspring housing to the frame/grips

4. Remove the grip safety

5. Slide the mainspring housing out and the sear spring will pop out

6. Push out the two pins on the frame -- the hammer and sear pins

You're now ready to clean. When you put everything back remember to have the legs of the sear spring rest on the sear and trigger bow. That's pretty well it.

The tricky part I came to when figuring out how to disassemble a 2011 gun versus a regular 1911 is the ambi thumb safety removal. On the 2011 you need to remove the left side first. Then the right side will rotate out.

• 2 weeks later...