Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

moving to FL

I am moving to the Tampa Area next month. Are there any good USPSA and 3-Gun clubs in/around town?

I know it was mentioned already above but Wyoming Antelope Club in Pinellas Park has USPSA one weekend a month, a Steel match one weekend a month and Action Pistol every Tuesday and Friday night. Membership is very reasonable ($200 1st yr & $130 for renewal) and pays for itself after about 8-10 matches although you don't need to be a member to shoot. Also your first match is free.

I have a few questions about Florida myself. Where is the best place to be for USPSA? I want to move to the warmth and sunshine. Wife and I want to be able to shoot USPSA and IDPA at least 2 times a month but would prefer more. We want to be able to be withing a hour drive of the ranges. Any recommendations for places to look into? currently looking in to the Jacksonville area.

I live in NE Polk County (30 min from Disney) and can pretty much find a match every weekend within a little over an hour drive (Universal Shooting Academy 35 min one of the best facilities in the country with 2 matches a month, Central Florida Rifle & Pistol Club (E. Orlando) 1 hr, Wyoming Antelope Club - {WAC} Pinellas Park, Volusia 1.5 hrs, St. Augustine a little over 2 hrs. and Hansen in Punta Gorda about 1.5 hrs away. I also have weekly Tuesday & Friday night matches (WAC) Okechobee is also about 2 hrs. Not sure about USPSA there but I have been to a GSSF match there. Metro Orlando gives you lots of options and if you're anywhere west of the city it opens up Metro Tampa pretty easily

They do run USPSA at Okechobee now. Third Saturday of the month and the buffet makes it worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few questions about Florida myself. Where is the best place to be for USPSA? I want to move to the warmth and sunshine. Wife and I want to be able to shoot USPSA and IDPA at least 2 times a month but would prefer more. We want to be able to be withing a hour drive of the ranges. Any recommendations for places to look into? currently looking in to the Jacksonville area.

I live in NE Polk County (30 min from Disney) and can pretty much find a match every weekend within a little over an hour drive (Universal Shooting Academy 35 min one of the best facilities in the country with 2 matches a month, Central Florida Rifle & Pistol Club (E. Orlando) 1 hr, Wyoming Antelope Club - {WAC} Pinellas Park, Volusia 1.5 hrs, St. Augustine a little over 2 hrs. and Hansen in Punta Gorda about 1.5 hrs away. I also have weekly Tuesday & Friday night matches (WAC) Okechobee is also about 2 hrs. Not sure about USPSA there but I have been to a GSSF match there. Metro Orlando gives you lots of options and if you're anywhere west of the city it opens up Metro Tampa pretty easily

They do run USPSA at Okechobee now. Third Saturday of the month and the buffet makes it worth it.

I'll have to check that out sometime.

Also you can do "qualification" to rent out a bay by yourself for training. $35 to use all of their "competition" stuff. Rifle range, cowboy range, pistol range. A few of us local guys just did it this past Saturday after the match and it only took an hour and a half maybe. Worth it for us since we don't have much in the options for actual training grounds.

Also you can do "qualification" to rent out a bay by yourself for training. $35 to use all of their "competition" stuff. Rifle range, cowboy range, pistol range. A few of us local guys just did it this past Saturday after the match and it only took an hour and a half maybe. Worth it for us since we don't have much in the options for actual training grounds.

That sounds like a good deal. Is it a class you have to take there? I was just wondering if they require it regardless since I'm a NRA Instructor / CRSO and a NROI RO. Ive been to a few other ranges where they don't require their class to rent if you already have credentials equal or better than what they do in their class. I've been to a couple that just required a quick orientation specific to their policies

That sounds like a good deal. Is it a class you have to take there? I was just wondering if they require it regardless since I'm a NRA Instructor / CRSO and a NROI RO. Ive been to a few other ranges where they don't require their class to rent if you already have credentials equal or better than what they do in their class. I've been to a couple that just required a quick orientation specific to their policies

Honestly the class was a joke. It seemed more like the instructor was using the time to sell his "tactical" classes he holds. They even made Lesgar "speedy" Murdock, a GM, take the class. You have to call them and set it up though. I think they are holding them once a month now after the monthly USPSA match.

Honestly the class was a joke. It seemed more like the instructor was using the time to sell his "tactical" classes he holds. They even made Lesgar "speedy" Murdock, a GM, take the class. You have to call them and set it up though. I think they are holding them once a month now after the monthly USPSA match.

Thanks, I'll check it out but probably not until fall with my schedule the rest of the summer

As somebody stated in another post above, K&M (now Core Shooting Solutions?) in Baker, FL broke onto the USPSA scene in May. As of right now the next match is scheduled for the 15th of August. The MD is looking to make it a monthly match, getting it locked down on the third Saturday would be great for the area.