Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

moving to FL

It looks like I will be moving to the NW Florida area this year. I think it will be an exciting time for the family and we are looking forward to it. So here we come ready or not!

From my searches online, I have found 2 clubs that hold regular matches in Tallahassee and 1 club at the East Alabama Gun Club that holds regular matches. These would be 1.5-2 hour drives, I was hoping there would be something closer... :)

Anybody here know if a match closer to the Panama City area?

Too bad you didn't come to NE FL, we probably have at least 4 or 5 USPSA matches a month within about a 1 hour drive.

on the website showing ranges, I was surprised at how many matches are in FL, just couldn't find any in the panhandle. We do have an office in JAX, maybe one day I will end up over there....

I have a few questions about Florida myself. Where is the best place to be for USPSA? I want to move to the warmth and sunshine. Wife and I want to be able to shoot USPSA and IDPA at least 2 times a month but would prefer more. We want to be able to be withing a hour drive of the ranges. Any recommendations for places to look into? currently looking in to the Jacksonville area.

Edited by RG86

anybody else know of matches in the Florida panhandle?

I'm in southwest Georgia. Only one uspsa match in Tallahassee and that is at talon. TRPC dies steel and bianchi cup I believe. The next two closest matches are Dothan which holds monthly uspsa, 3 gun, tactical pistol (idpa without their rules), and I think steel. The this portion is Gainesville

I have a few questions about Florida myself. Where is the best place to be for USPSA? I want to move to the warmth and sunshine. Wife and I want to be able to shoot USPSA and IDPA at least 2 times a month but would prefer more. We want to be able to be withing a hour drive of the ranges. Any recommendations for places to look into? currently looking in to the Jacksonville area.

Jacksonville / St. Augustine area has a few places to shoot.

Off the top of my head: SAPSA & ACSR right there, SEPSA less than an hour north and Volusia about an hour south. Those all have USPSA and some also have some combination of Steel, IDPA, 3/2 Gun. I think Gainesville also has USPSA matches - maybe a little over an hour away.

Not sure if there are matches are at some of the other Jax area ranges like Gateway.

On the west coast, plenty of shoots from Tampa south (not north).

Central Florida has Orlando & Frostproof, plus we're not far from

Volusia, or the two coasts for that matter.

Lots of shooting along the Eastern seaboard, from Jacksonville

south (all the way south).

The northwest has very little, if any.

The Talon USPSA match is a really good one. The range was built recently with USPSA and other shooting sports in mind and the stages are easily the equal of anything you'd see at a State or Area match. Well worth a 1.5/2 hour drive.

The Talon USPSA match is a really good one. The range was built recently with USPSA and other shooting sports in mind and the stages are easily the equal of anything you'd see at a State or Area match. Well worth a 1.5/2 hour drive.

great to hear that. this is one of the clubs I found online. I will be visiting. Thank you.

As far as Jax goes there are more matches (USPSA,IDPA, Steel Challenge) in a month than there are weekend days to shoot them... and all within 1 - 1.5 hours. It's a very strong competitive shooting area.

Edited by GOF

As far as Jax goes there are more matches (USPSA,IDPA, Steel Challenge) in a month than there are weekend days to shoot them... and all within 1 - 1.5 hours. It's a very strong competitive shooting area.

As well as a very active carbine/two gun community, and the birthplace of the USCA, for those so inclined.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm in NW Florida. Honestly there are not many USPSA matches around here in Florida. People travel to Dothan, and Tri state gun club in Alabama. A range I'm a member of, K&M shooting center held a USPSA match last month and my continue to do so once a month. car pool is always an option.

Thanks floridadan. Any good USPSA in the tampa area?

You can shoot USPSA 3 times a week in the Tampa area if you are willing to drive a little.

Check out www.gunmatchadvisor.com as they will all be there but, WAC Tuesday and Friday plus a monthly weekend match (or 2 on 5 week months) Ruskin, Hernando and Frostproof all has monthly match as well.

I live in NE Polk County (30 min from Disney) and can pretty much find a match every weekend within a little over an hour drive (Universal Shooting Academy 35 min one of the best facilities in the country with 2 matches a month, Central Florida Rifle & Pistol Club (E. Orlando) 1 hr, Wyoming Antelope Club - {WAC} Pinellas Park, Volusia 1.5 hrs, St. Augustine a little over 2 hrs. and Hansen in Punta Gorda about 1.5 hrs away. I also have weekly Tuesday & Friday night matches (WAC) Okechobee is also about 2 hrs. Not sure about USPSA there but I have been to a GSSF match there. Metro Orlando gives you lots of options and if you're anywhere west of the city it opens up Metro Tampa pretty easily