Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any place to buy a finished 1911 lower

Lars

Nelson uppers do not work on all frames, so be careful about what you buy. Potential problem areas are the ejector, the mag release location and the internal shape of the mag release.

You can solve an ejector problem by simply removing it from the frame. It isn't needed for the Nelson.

The mag release issue may be more troubling. Nelson's mags are set for GI spec pistols. In modern receivers designed to hold the mags higher in the frame, you will have problems. The mags will hit the extractor and force it upwards where it will rub and cause malfunctions. To "cure" this you have to take material off the slot in the mag that engages the catch. The idea is to remove just enough material so that the mag is clear of the extractor after being inserted. Take a touch too much off and the mag will not feed.

I'll assume you already have a pistol you use this upper on and it works. If so, get a lower just like it. If you have to build your own, buy an ignition kit specifically designed for 22LR on a 1911/2011. That will automatically cure some potential problems with the disconnector, etc. If you run into problems with mag releases, Dawson's sells catches that are .010" lower and higher than standard. Lower is what you'll probably need. You may also try GSG mags. Sometimes they work without modifying anything. Other times they won't work at all. Good luck.

It didn't like my RIA very much but ran great on my my buddies range officer. Is there a brand of 1911 that the top would sell easily for a good price? I was thinking maybe a Springfield loaded?

Lars, while I think the Springfield RO is a great pistol for the money, I'd not go that route unless you are willing to convert the MSH and swap out springs. Otherwise you'll have a heavier trigger pull than you would want on a 22.

If you decide to go the whole gun route and sell the upper, consider a caliber other that 45ACP. You may find a 9mm upper is more attractive to a 45ACP owner who may decide to plink with a cheaper round. On the other hand, if I didn't already have dedicated pistols, one upper with iron sights and one with a red dot would be appealing.