Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any stock factory pistols suitable for Metallic?

The Blade

I'm starting to get excited about shooting this years Bianchi Cup! I think I can get by this year with my STI Edge in .40 but I know it's not optimal. Even if I bought a new metallic pistol I don't think would I want to commission a custom pistol right now. I would want to stick with with an auto in 9mm and definitely a 1911. Any thought as to what you would choose? Not really concerned with the price with a stock pistol just nothing custom. I own a gun shop and can get most any factory pistol.

Here's my thoughts but I have no experience in AP.

http://stiguns.com/guns/target-master/

Does anyone here own the STI Target Master or have shot one? Might be a decent place to start.. Thoughts? Thanks, Stephen

post-27844-0-12394800-1428630270_thumb.j

Hey Stephen, we met at that conference in New Orleans a while back. The Aristocrat rear sight probably makes the target master the best choice out there. Some bullseye shooters think 9mm 1911's won't shoot tight enough (for bullsye), but I think it will be just fine and have thought about that gun myself for the cup. Good luck.

Hey Dave! You shooting the cup this year? I've been looking at all sorts of 1911 companies but haven't seen anything similar to the Target Master right out of the box. I've got a couple of sig P210's but magazines are costly and I can't really work on them myself. Plus I don't think the P210 lends itself to fast shooting. Great connecting with you again.

:) :) :) :)Dave

The 210 is probably about one of the best 9's out there and it's heritage can be seen in those that have tried to emulate it's reliability and accuracy like the CZ75, Tanfoglio and numerous others.

True, they are expensive so to the parts and unless you are familiar with the platform, can be challenging. In all honesty, if you are looking for a reliable, accurate, and affordable gun that will work for AP, I would look at the Tanfoglio Elite Limited. Out of the box it shoots great and is a platform that can be built on should you decide to head to the dark side and go Open... :)

Just a thought

GrantJ

I had a Target Master for a while.. couldnt put down the open gun long enough to shoot it a bunch though.

It's probably the best option for a factory gun. Unless you find a really good deal on a Baer 9mm. but I suppose thats not really a factory gun.

I shot the cup last year with a Target Master. The 6 inch sight radius is definitely worthwhile. I agree with DWFAN, I would like to try a Les Baer but I understand there is an 11 month wait? STI do a 2011 6 inch Eagle which would feel more like your Edge. May be available in .38 Super and 9 mm?

All good choices. Cheers.

http://stiguns.com/guns/eagle/

Edited by Chris1911

Targetmaster 6in with the Aristocrat tri set. Get a bushing barrel so you can replace the bushing and get your accuracy back. Get 8 metalform 9 rd front ramp mags and then load up a bunch of ammo for practice. I lightened my slide but you can get by without it. Get a Prone pad from Protocall Design here on the forum. Then shoot, shoot some more, shoot after that, and then shoot more as well......

If you like action, it is a blast......

DougC

Doug,

I would really appreciate your thoughts and experience on slide lightening your slide on your Target Master. I understand that a lightened slide will cycle faster which in theory would give more time for sight realignment but how much to cut and where is a mystery. The picture above by entropic shows pretty severe cutting of a 5 inch slide. I wonder if you cut your 6 inch slide this much? It would be interesting to see how much I would have to cut from a 6 inch slide to get to the same weight as a 5 inch slide.

Cheers Chris.

I had all intentions of shooting my STI Edge in .40 this year and was close to having a load worked up but then this little gem was dropped in my lap. It's the Sig X-5 L1 9mm . It was a cinch to get an accurate load worked up. 4.0 grains of Titegroup behind a Hornady 125 gn HAP and I get an inch at 25 yards. It's a heavy pistol and reliable so far. Decent sights though I'd still like to have the Aristocrate's . I've seen several people compete with the Sig's in AP but not sure how they worked out. Less than a month away!

post-27844-0-67067700-1429970971_thumb.j