Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer follow and trigger pull question

balmo

Initially, I just wanted to install a Dawson Ice magwell on my SA Loaded. I decided to add in a 19lb mainspring and C&S sear spring to lighten up the trigger pull a little bit. I did mess up the ambi safety and ended up also getting a Wilson ambi safety.

I dropped the slide to check function and the hammer falls into the half cock position. I did this before updating very seldom, but I never remembered the hammer dropping into the half cock position. Now if I drop the slide with a dummy round, the hammer never drops into half cock.

Can the C&S sear spring have caused this? Is this condition not safe? I have polished the disconnector and trigger bow a little bit. Could that nee sear spring have caused this? Does replacing the thumb safety have anything to influence trigger action?

Also dissapointing was trigger pull is about the same as before. I didn't have a scale before, but it now breaks at around 5lbs and it felt the same like before. Should't a lighter mainspring lighten up the trigger pull a little bit? Thanks.

Hammer spring only has a minor effect on the trigger pull weight in a single action 1911. It's not like in a double action gun where you are actually pulling against that spring with the trigger. All you're doing in a 1911 trigger pull is causing the sear to rotate enough to let the hammer hooks disengage from the sear blade. Hammer hook depth/angle, sear blade cut, sear spring and General smoothness of parts is what changes the pull weight.

Drop the slide while holding the trigger in the forward (opposite of fired) position. If hammer doesn't drop, the center leg of the leaf spring needs more tension as you are getting trigger bounce from the slide slamming shut.

It doesn't do it with a dummy round as the the loading of the round slows the slide down a little and the round acts as a buffer.

Drop the slide while holding the trigger in the forward (opposite of fired) position. If hammer doesn't drop, the center leg of the leaf spring needs more tension as you are getting trigger bounce from the slide slamming shut.

It doesn't do it with a dummy round as the the loading of the round slows the slide down a little and the round acts as a buffer.

+1 That's why an empty slide drop is the "worst case" test to detect hammer follow, although empty drops can cause chatter that is hard on trigger parts so it should not be done a lot.

IMHO, any gun that shows hammer follow needs work but yours may simply need the sear spring adjusted.

I also recommend checking overtravel adjust. I remove the slide then knock the pin out of the MSH to release hammer tension. Then hold the trigger pulled and rotate the hammer fully through range to make sure it is not hitting the sear nose anywhere (the half cock notch is taller than the full cock notch so that's where it hits if it's set too tight).

Edited by bountyhunter

Thanks for the reply. I will go ahead and check to see if the hammer follows while trigger is in full forward position. C&S did market their spring as a lightened sear spring. If that is the case, I will just throw back the stock SA sear spring.

This constant search as to why I have the same tigger pull given I have a lighter mainspring + polshed the trigger bow/ tracks a little bit showed me something I forgot: ignition parts absolutely doesnt have any oil/grease/lunrication at all.

Cross my fingers when I get home. ;)

The C&S spring a just looks like a Colt spring. I bought a C&S kit with the spring, but have since gone with the Colt spring and skip the markup.

It may be marketed as a "lighter" spring, but even the stock spring can be adjusted to change the pull weight, and as stated earlier, the mainspring had minimal change in trigger pull weight

Edited by Quack

The leftmost leaf of the sear spring is likely installed below the trigger bow.

When I bought my C&S kit it came with a colt spring, just with a lightened pull.

If you want a lighter pull, you need their whole kit (hammer, sear, disco). I got one, it literally dropped in (pins not so much) and I carry the gun with it at 2.5#. It's crisper than my SVI which breaks at 1.5#.

Edited by jtaylor996