Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interesting Chrono Results

zzt

I just received the two sample packs of Falcon Bullet Company's Falcoated 40sw 180gr TC bullets. While chatting on the phone I asked what they were coated with and was told it was their own proprietary polymer coating that included a lubricant. I was also told that shooters using their coated bullets reported making Major with less powder than any other bullet. I told her if that were true, she should have it plastered all over their web site.

Naturally, I had to test this out. 55 degrees. Mixed 40sw brass, CCI 500 primers, 3.7gr e3 powder, 1.135" OAL, all 10 shot strings.

Lubed lead TC = 960fps avg, 4.83SD, 172PF

BBI TC = 953fps avg, 6.90SD, 171PF

Falcon TC = 979fps avg, 7.15SD, 176PF

So it appears to be true. This is the first coated bullet that has been faster than lubed lead.

The coating is not applied to the base of the bullet. The coating is a lot smoother than other poly coatings and it has no smell when fired. No smoke either.

• 2 weeks later...

They were .401" and the weight varied within a 1gr range typically, and a 2gr range including a couple of extremes. Pretty much what I find with lubed lead.

For a comparison, I tested again using a much slower powder, N340, with everything else being the same. Results were:

Falcon TC 975fps, 175PF, SD 3.51

Lubed Lead TC 958fps, 172PF, SD 8.69

BBI TC 904fps, 162PF, SD 12.57 a surprising result. I have no idea why the wider Delta with the slower powder.

Although the SDs are good, or almost good, I think this powder too slow for this use. A surprising amount of flame comes out the front of a 5.1" barrel.

There are lots of companies that are using the same molds out there for the 180's. Without looking at the three bullets and measuring diameter and weight it is hard to tell. Usually what happens with friction reducing agents is that velocity is less then it would be for the same bullet as it reduces pressure as well. I think the simple answer is that the bullets are a little bigger diameter then some of the others but without looking, comparing and measuring its hard to tell. 75 fps is a significant result. 19 fps could be a fluke. Bullet hardness can also be a factor.