Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 failure to extract

sbaker5

I have a lightly used 5" 2011 STI. It has been modified with slide cuts, trigger job, grip mod's, etc. I am failure to extract the spent casing causing double feed issues. The extractor appears fine. Any recommendations?

This is NOT the correct way to fit an extractor. The flat on the extractor should be in contact with the case rim and that's where the tension should be. There should be no contact between the extractor hook and the case recess. Check Kuhnhausen for photos or diagrams if you need a reference.

Don't look at me I didn't write it.

Bob knows a thing or 2 about building 1911/2011's

No problem. Not putting it on you. Bob did an article in Front Sight a number of years ago with the same info and I wrote a response to which he politely disagreed. He may build nice looking guns, but he is 100% wrong on setting up extractors. The flat surface on the extractor recess is is beveled specifically so the case rim can ride up on it and make a nice smooth transition and overcome the tension while feeding into the chamber. The way Bob does it, you have the hook of the extractor digging into the case recess as the case tries to ride up the sharp corner.

Wow, a lot of responses. I have been running factory loads. Many different types, winchester white box, Remington,UMC, etc. It has been doing it with all ammo. I think from what has been stated above I will adjust the extractor tension and try that, if that doesn't work I will order a new extractor. I will report back. Thanks for all the knfo.