Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL 650 primer saga continues?

Thanks for the kind replies about the previous primer problems....cleaned and seems ok...now another primer situation is occurring ......primers are to high in the casing.....adj. she'll plate to exact specs, cleaned and lubed...even tried CCI primers instead of Federals for hardness.

All the primers are perfectly to high.....Dillon is on it , but wondering if anyone else has encountered this situation???

And lesson learned about short stroking the press and the resulting crushed primers....live and learn!

Thanks............

The amount of seating depth on the 650, most other progressives for that matter, is controled by how much you push forward on the ram down stroke (handle up stroke).

If, without a case in station 2, you push the handle all the way forward and the anvil rises above the bottom of where the bottom of the case would be in the shell plate, you just need to use a little more pressure.

Edited by jmorris

Thanks for the guidance.......all the brass are cleaned reloads....even tried some new brass to eliminate bad brass..the anvil rises to the bevel on the shell plate ...that looks ok.......I'm applying the same pressure as all previous reloads.

Apparently the primer anvil rod has a stop underneath so there is only so far it can come up......it's almost as though the casing is rising up not allowing the primer to be seated all the way up. I have cleaned and adjusted the shell plate every way possible to create minimum rise when the primer is inserted ....this is an interesting predicament .......possibly the shell plate is damaged?????.....it goes on.....

Rboyes.....you are the big winner!!!!!!!.......the primer seating rod was not fully screwed into the base...first round perfect!!!!!!!!

As always, thank you guys for helping a poor dumb a~> on their way....this was driving me nuts.....more FMJ tonight !!!!!!!

Apparently the primer anvil rod has a stop underneath so there is only so far it can come up......it's almost as though the casing is rising up not allowing the primer to be seated all the way up.

If it is rising to the bevel like this.

IMG_20150331_083903_413_zpss6egffjb.jpg

To not have a flush primer would mean the rim would be out of the shell plate.

I am not an advocate of force especially around primers but it sounds like you don't have enough or have other issues.

I have an older 650 and 100k rnds later, I also had primer problems and Dillon replaced my small primer Seater Assembly

They claimed the just wear out.

Note: there is a Rev B on both the large and small seater assemblies, but don't know when it became effective.

How old is your press?